Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > the possessive case    

the possessive case

racim
Algeria

the possessive case

Dear teachers,                                                                                                                     Can we use the   �s   after first names ending in "s"
 for example =  Whose car is it ?
                         It is James � .   or   :  It is James �s.  or both are correct ?
 and how about surnames endind in "s" ?is it the same ?
 for example =  Whose car is it ?
                         It is the Smiths � .  or : It is the Smiths �s  . or both are correct ?

Thanks for your help

8 Jan 2014      

MoodyMoody
United States

For singular proper names ending with s, you may use either a bare apostrophe or an apostrophe plus s. I usually tell my students to use the apostrophe and s so they don �t need to remember exceptions. So I would say "It is James �s" or "It is Mr. Williams �s." (Williams is a surname that ends with s.)

Plural proper names are treated the same as plural common nouns, with a bare apostrophe. For your second example, I would answer "It is the Smiths �." (Smith does not end with s, and the Smiths refers to the couple or the family.) If you have a surname that ends with s in the singular, then you make it plural before adding the apostrophe: "It is the Williamses �." However, as a side note, if the last name ends with y, do not change the y to I or add es for the plural. Example: "It is the Moodys �."

8 Jan 2014     

rashou
Tunisia

the is used only with plurals  ending in s

9 Jan 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

That �s true, rashou. However, racim specifically asked about people �s (there �s an example of what you mentioned) names, and names always use s for the plural.

9 Jan 2014     

yanogator
United States

I completely agree with MoodyMoody. It is simplest to teach students to use     �s    for all singular nouns, and definitely correct. More complicated rules are also correct, but why complicate matters?

Bruce

9 Jan 2014