Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day!    

Word of the Day!

MoodyMoody
United States

Word of the Day!

Thank you, elderberrywine, for selecting me as the latest Word of the Day winner. I honestly believed that my "daffynition" of sphygmomanometer (blood pressure measuring device) was far too contrived, but I �ll take it!

So, word fiends, your next Word of the Day is (drum roll)

AVERRUNCATOR.

Remember, fake definitions only! I �ll pick a winner either tomorrow evening or whenever I get enough definitions to make it worth while. Happy prevaricating!

13 Jan 2014      

sarguero
Spain

AVERRUNCATOR   AVE (spanish for bird)    RONCADOR (spanish for snorer)

A "nice" night bird that snores very aloud at 3:00 A.M. while you are in your best dreams. The scientist name for this bird is  "Alarmclock volatilis"

14 Jan 2014     

alexcure
Poland

WARNING! CAT LOVERS and THEIR PETS IN DANGER!

If you haven �t heard of it yet, you cat lovers, be careful and cautious! The trap market has a brand new product, the so called averruncator, named after its constructor John Averrun, a modern cat catcher to catch stray and feral cats. Averruncators are dangerous for your lovely pets since they are very effective. As some cats are very good at getting in and out of traps without getting caught, an averruncator does not permit a cat to get out at all. We never know who might use averruncators..... so we �d better keep our dear cats close to our premises!

14 Jan 2014     

edrodmedina
United States

Aver means to see in Spanish. Runcator (roncador) also of latin origin means a person who snores.Therefore a averruncator is a person who watches over people who snore eg. people with sleep apnea. Sort of like an angel making sure those with apnea start breathing again.

14 Jan 2014     

florimago
Spain

An averruncator is a pet who watches fish while it�s in the kitchen sink , ready to be prepared . An averruncator makes cats go away when they try to catch our fish . We �ll avoid funny surprises and keep our dinner sound and safe !!!: A: A, one ; Ver : Spanish Word meaning "see" ; Run : go away ; Cat : pet who loves fish ; Or: Suffix indicating who does something

14 Jan 2014     

viccxx
Greece

Aver: to say something in a very strong or forceful way

So I aver RUN CAT, OR so help me God, I �ll...*grambles at the cat that attacked her canary*

So averruncator is what you turn into when you are chasing a cat, screaming at the top of your lungs.

14 Jan 2014     

MarionG
Netherlands

I know this is a sensitive topic on the forum, knowing there are many cat lovers around..

Some people have a strong aversion to cats (I don �t understand it either).
Some of them even hate them and would like (don �t freak out) to see them all killed.
These people can now call the AVERRUNCATOR (Yes I know it is sick) and he (why is it always a he?) will come and run over the cats for you.

An averruncator, you see, is and exterminator for cats.

14 Jan 2014