Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Difference between skyline and horizon    

Difference between skyline and horizon

engnas
Russian Federation

Difference between skyline and horizon

Dear friends, Help me please, to find out the difference between these 2 words horizon and skyline? Are the British and American English?

16 Jan 2014      

yanogator
United States

The horizon is a natural thing. It is the edge of your vision, as the Earth curves away from you.

A skyline is what you see when you look at the city from a distance. It is a silhouette of the buildings.

Bruce

16 Jan 2014     

MarionG
Netherlands

Bruce is right of course (as usual)
I think the confusion between the words is caused by the fact that very often we cannot really see the natural horizon anymore. What we see instead is the skyline of the buildings obsecuring the horizon from our view. (or the skyline of the buildings standing on the horizon) Therefore, for many people, when they think of the horizon, a skyline comes to mind.

16 Jan 2014     

yanogator
United States

Good point, Marion.

Bruce

16 Jan 2014     

engnas
Russian Federation

Thanks so much, my dear You helped me a lot:-)

19 Jan 2014     

engnas
Russian Federation

Thanks so much, my dear You helped me a lot:-)

19 Jan 2014