Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day Contest Jan. 21 st     

Word of the Day Contest Jan. 21 st

elderberrywine
Germany

Word of the Day Contest Jan. 21 st

Thanks for choosing me, MoodyMoody.

Here is a new WORD OF THE DAY:
Hemidemisemiquaver

If you know what the word really means: good for you, - but don �t bore us with the real definitions. We thrive on crazy , creative, incredible definitions here.
One, two, three ... GO !!

21 Jan 2014      

edrodmedina
United States

a strong (hemi  as in hemi motor)  shaking (quaver) and  vocalization sometimes (semi) caused when watching Demi Moore in Blame It on Rio

ED-the adjectival suffix

21 Jan 2014     

sarguero
Spain

Hemi Demi Semiquaver was an orthodox rabbi famous for his very long white beard

21 Jan 2014     

alexcure
Poland

Both hemispheres of my brain burnt out soon after having seen this wordShockedLOL

Is this its function?

21 Jan 2014     

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

Quavers, this British cheese-based snack, can now be served in different sizes and with various flavors. So as you can order half a pint of beer, you can choose the size of your quaver. The size ranges from full size quaver to semi size quaver (1/2), to demisemi quaver (1/4), to hemidemisemi (1/8) quaver. If I happened to go there, I would certainly opt for size1.

21 Jan 2014     

viccxx
Greece

It �s what happened to Hemingaway, when he met Demis Rousos at the Semiramis Hotel.
They made the windows quaver.

21 Jan 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

This word tells a whole story. It is the story of a businessman who was offered a position at two companies: EMIS (Emerging Markets Information Services) and the now-defunct EMI (Electronic and Musical Industries). Which offer to accept? He decided to go to both companies and see if he could work at both, as a liaison. He created his own job.

So where do we get the story from hemidemisemiquaver?

he: masculine singular nominative pronoun

mid: halfway

EMIS: Emerging Markets Information Service

EMI: Electronic and Musical Industries

qua: in the capacity of being

ver: short for version

21 Jan 2014     

MarionG
Netherlands

It �s the kind of shudder you feel when someone hands you a half-assed, half-brained, and half-baked piece of work, while smiling. 

a note of caution:  once you exprerience a hemidemisemiquaver, it is important to remember you are a professional educator.
|You are not to start yelling about failing academic standards, nor go on a rant about the lack of drive for excellence among today �s youth, you should not mention that if he had put in half the effort you did in preparing the class, his work would be so much better. Under no circumstances should you doubt your own abilities to teach.
The correct response is to breathe deeply and start your comments with: You worked nicely BUT.....
In case the hemidemisemiquaver is very forceful, I recommend logging onto ESLp for emergency emotional intervention and support before addressing the cause of the quaver.

22 Jan 2014     

Apodo
Australia

Hemidemisemiquaver 

Hem - I - demise - Miqu(an) - aver

Hem = edge of a garment
I = me
demise = death, end of existence
Miquan = city in China
Aver = to declare, to say

This is a word used by people in the city of Miquan when speaking about their certain death, should they trip over the dangling torn hem of their coat, skirt or dress.

It serves as a warning to keep one �s clothes in good repair, and when correctly pronounced each of the eight syllables must be of the same length with the stress on the first syllable. Wink

22 Jan 2014     

isa2
Austria

Hemidemisemiquaver - as the name aready suggests - is the world-famous inventor of deliberate spoonerism, the father of many a magic spell,  the creator of Hokuspokusfidibus, Abakadabra or Simsalabim.
He taught hemidemisemiquaverism in the renowned Academy of the Fine Magic Arts.

22 Jan 2014     

elderberrywine
Germany

WOW - you really came up with marvellous and inspired definitions this time. I loved all of them and it �s really hard to choose a winner.

Since we all know the fits MarionG describes (fits we get when correcting students � works that is abysmal) and since I �m just recovering from one of those fits I decided to make her the winner.
Here are some illustrations of this hemidemisemiquaver.

What the word really means is:
a musical note having one sixty-fourth the time value of a whole note.

Over to you, MarionG !!

23 Jan 2014