Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day Contest Winner    

Word of the Day Contest Winner

MoodyMoody
United States

Word of the Day Contest Winner

It took a little longer than I hoped to get a good selection of fake definitions for solanaceous. Sarguero talked about Ana working on her tan, Ed sympathized with pregnant women and their morning sickness, htunde combined the two with heat exhaustion, teresasimoes lamented insomnia caused by sunburn, viccxx must have eavesdropped on my brother studying for LAN certification, mohamedthabet taught us about the Northern gannet (a bird I knew nothing about), ascincoquinas invoked Dracula and other vampires who shun the sun, and isa2 came closest to the actual definition with her potatoes at Carnivale. These were all excellent efforts.

But I gave it to oumsalsabil referring to a person reluctant to marry and then would only marry a person like the parent. I like psychology, and the reference to anaclisis clinched it for me. Congratulations!

The reason I said isa2 was the closest to the real definition is that solanaceous refers to plants belonging to the nightshade family, which includes potatoes (as well as tomatoes, chile and bell peppers, eggplant/aubergine, tobacco, petunias, mandrake, and belladonna).

1 Feb 2014