Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Which answer s correct and why?    

Which answer s correct and why?

k.samula
Poland

Which answer s correct and why?

It �s good I got interested in that bottle. Granny ............ the poison taking it for het asthma medicine because the bottle was unmarked.
a) could swallow  b) had swallowed    c) might have swallowed    d) was able to swallow

The answer key gives C as the correct answer, but isn �t a also correct?
Can you explain me the change of meaning, if there is any?
Thank you very much in advance!

10 Feb 2014      

alexcure
Poland

The answer C conveys probability, the second clause of this sentence shows clearly the probability, i.e. "taking it for the asthma medicine ...". The answer A doesn �t convey probability here, so I wouldn �t consider it with this context. 

10 Feb 2014     

alex076
Italy

C is the correct one because the action of drinking the poison will not happen - the person who �got interested in the bottle� prevented it.
A would be correct if it said "could have swallowed".
This is my opinion, but I suggest we wait for native speakers to have better explanations.
Hugs from Italy :-)
Alex

10 Feb 2014     

alexcure
Poland

Alex, granny might have swallowed the poison, which means that it �s within the bounds of possibility that she did, it �s probable that she did, taking it for the asthma medicine. 

Yes, "could have swallowed" conveys probability, so it �s OK for this context.

Hugs also from Italy,

and also

by Alex ;-) 

10 Feb 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

The setting is clearly in the past. "Might have swallowed" puts the possibility of swallowing in the past. There is no possibility now. "Could swallow," however, leaves open the possibility of swallowing the poison in the future. It �s just one of those crazy things about English, that "could" is used as the past for "can" but also as a weaker, more polite version of "can."

10 Feb 2014     

yanogator
United States

MoodyMoody,
The "could" here is the conditional form of "can", as "might" is the conditional form of "may".

Bruce

10 Feb 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

b) had swallowed is also OK, is it not? She could have got to granny just in time and then rushed her to hospital...

It�s not a very good test question!

10 Feb 2014     

yanogator
United States

You �re right, Lynne. It could be a sequence of events. The grandchild got interested after Granny swallowed the poison, just in time.

Bruce

10 Feb 2014