Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Could you help?    

Could you help?

youste
Lithuania

Could you help?

Could anyone explain this sentence, please:

"The song had a ghost in it, so we sang it lots of times". I can �t understand that part with a ghost - it couldn �t mean "the spirit of dead person"? Thank you for your explanations:)

18 Feb 2014      

dutchboydvh
Singapore

Could it mean that the song was about a ghost (The ghost (a spirit of a dead person) was in the song�s lyrics), and because the kids enjoyed it, they sang it many times?

19 Feb 2014     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Ghost here can mean that there was a difficult part, and people struggled over that part. So they had to repeat it over and over.

19 Feb 2014     

youste
Lithuania

Thank you very much, but it has nothing in common with ghosts Unhappy The text is about school and a teacher who offers his students to sing a song about Australia. I thought maybe it could mean "inspiring song" Confused
Maybe native speakers could give me a helping handWink

19 Feb 2014     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Youste

Did your text give the title of the Australian song?

Also, is the text online so that we can have a look?

My initial  feeling is that it is a song that contains reference to a ghost, or a spirit of a dead person, and that the students enjoyed it because of that reference.  We�d have to read the text or see the song lyrics to verify the actual meaning.

Cheers

Jayho

19 Feb 2014     

jannabanna
France

Could it mean that something has been repeated?  Like in: ghost character.

19 Feb 2014     

lovegrammar
Turkey

Maybe it means the song is a ghost track, with lots of hidden meanings so singing/reading/repeating it over and over reveals the hidden meanings.

19 Feb 2014     

Jayho
Australia

I�ve got it!

It�s probably the popular Australian song "Waltzing Matilda"(apparently one of the world�s ten most recorded songs). It�s about a swagman that stole a sheep.  Instead of going with the troopers, he decided to jump into a billabong (where he drowned) but if you pass by that billabong today you can still hear his ghost singing Waltzing Matilda.

Up got the swaggie and jumped into the billabong

You �ll never catch me alive said he

And his ghost may be heard as you pass by that billabong

You �ll come a-Waltzing Matilda with me

You can watch a video here - it nicely illustrates the song meaning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SANzC9-a5yo

Cheers

Jayho

19 Feb 2014     

youste
Lithuania

Thanks JayhoHug Yes, it is a "Waltzing Matilda"!!!! Thank you so much. I didn �t have the lyrics, so it was so cunfusingConfused to understand the text, thank you so much to all of youSmile

19 Feb 2014