Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > MIGHT    

MIGHT

EnglishTeacher08
United Kingdom

MIGHT

Hello everyone
� On my sixteen �s birthday, I realised that if I started hard work, I might get better grades. And in fact I did. �  This sentence figures out in an original reading passage in the textbook I am using. It is a bit confusing as students indulged into a discussion of whether MIGHT + BASE VERB can express probability in the past.
I am quite sure we rather use MIGHT+ HAVE+ PP to talk about past probability, as in:
- he was absent for school. HE MIGHT HAVE BEEN sick.
My question is: Can MIGHT + BASE VERB express PAST possibility? 
Thanks a lot .

11 Mar 2014      

yanogator
United States

If the narrative is already in the past, then MIGHT + BASE VERB could be used to indicate an ongoing situation, but not just a past possibility.

I didn �t tell her about it because she might become angry.

This isn �t very solid grammatically, but people woud say it, indicating that I didn �t tell her (in the past) and the anger might have started then and continue.

So the simple answer is "no", but with this consideration. Notice that your example is this situation - better grades starting at that time and continuing.

Also, it should be "sixteenth birthday".

Bruce

11 Mar 2014     

Sharwong
Canada

Just to add my two cents:

Wouldn �t this just be a case of indirect speech --reporting someone �s thoughts and changing the tense from present to past form.

Hhmm"If I start hard work, I may get good grades.  " 

So in fact it is reporting real possibilities for the present-future.

Sharon

11 Mar 2014     

EnglishTeacher08
United Kingdom

Hi again
Yes Bruce it is sixteenTH in the text. I was much taken by that MIGHT problem and I didn"t pay attention there. Thanks anyway for your participation, but look the narrative went on in the text as to the writer to say: � AND I DID. � which means the fact of getting better grades happened and is no more going on. 
Thanks Sharon for the help. I also think it �s a question of reported speech as it is introduced by � I REALISED �; yet, to be frank I  am still bewildered.

12 Mar 2014     

serappp
Turkey

This is what he thought at the age of sixteen;If I start hard work,I may get better grades.At the moment he isn �t 16.He is narrating this event so it should be in the past form.

12 Mar 2014