Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Project based learning doubts...    

Project based learning doubts...

izulia
China

Project based learning doubts...

Hello dear friends,

I have experience in teaching primary students where kids responded really well to the topic based/project learning. Now I was given a class of ten 13-15 year olds (a mix of elementary and lower intermediate levels) and I tried the same approach but it didn �t quite work...Kids seemed to be tired of having to look at the same theme for a week, although there were different activities and �angles � we looked at it. My new teenage students used to working using a course book, page by page, which I find not very effective and to be honest, boring.

My question is, how would you use 10 hours a week with the kids of similar age?  Do you use topic based learning? If so, do you link almost all of your activities throughout your week to the topic? Or do you just let it go for a lesson or two and do something else?

Thank you

18 Mar 2014      

yanogator
United States

You could downplay the fact that the theme stays the same by giving different titles to the projects and activities. They might even enjoy noticing the common theme if they aren �t told at the beginning that there is one. In other words, be sneaky about it. If the different activities are presented independently, the problem might dissolve.
Bruce

18 Mar 2014     

izulia
China

That �s a clever idea, thank you Bruce! 

18 Mar 2014