Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WORD CONTEST - 18th March - SECOND ROUND    

WORD CONTEST - 18th March - SECOND ROUND

ascincoquinas
Portugal

WORD CONTEST - 18th March - SECOND ROUND

Hi fellows! Here �s the second round of word contest. There are two entries. Take a look.
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=44745

The word I have chosen for you is:

Xanthippe

Eager to hear your crazy daffynitions. Remember DO NOT GIVE the correct definition. Use your imagination.

18 Mar 2014      

oumsalsabil
Algeria

Xanthippe is an X-rays photograph that is able to spot breaks or fractures in the hip of an antWacko

18 Mar 2014     

Mariethe House
France

a Chinese typo detector

18 Mar 2014     

anaram
Spain

This is the medical term applied to the symptom of having light yellow urine. The symptom can be associated with pregnancy, different types of infections or dehydration among others causes.

The etymology of this word is quite unusual because it combines a Greek prefix (xhantic = yellow) with a colloquial term (pee).

18 Mar 2014     

douglas
United States

Okay, bear with me on this one:

Xanth- Piers Anthony�s wonderful world that is filled with puns

I- Pronoun for the 1st person (the person speaking)

PP- per procurationem (used when signing a letter on someone else�s behalf)

e- Euler �s number (approx. 2.711828) the basis of a natural logarithm that is used for exponential functions (e.g. calculating accrued interest over a period of time) 

Based on this, a Xanthippe is a public agent (civil servant) in Xanth that, when given the opportunity to sign something in proxy for his/her supervisor, begins to do this more and more often (exponentially) until he/she ultimately takes-over all of the boss�s document signing and begins to take over other people�s document signing in a never-ending, ever-escalating process that is one of many causes of bureaucracy in government offices.

When asked where they work and what their position is these peopel usually answer: "Xanthippe"

Cheers,
Douglas

19 Mar 2014     

edrodmedina
United States

I could be wrong but I believe that XANTHIPPE is a word referencing Xan the first hippie.

19 Mar 2014