Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > The word "partner"    

The word "partner"

Yolandaprieto
Spain

The word "partner"

Hello everybody,
I just wanted to know if we can use the word "partner" instead of "classmate". I sometimes have to use it so often that I get tired of using it and I would like to find a synonym but our language assistant (she is British) says "partner" doesn �t have the same meaning although in our teacher book is also used. Can you give me an answer to this question, please?
My best wishes
Yolanda

20 Mar 2014      

MarionG
Netherlands

Indeed, there is a difference between the two words. Generally, the kids in class are each other �s classmates but as soon as they really work together on something (when working in pairs on an assignment for example), they become partners.

Hope this helps.

20 Mar 2014     

tvillikko
United Kingdom

If students work in pairs, �partner � is ok. In groups, people are not partners but other members of the group or in the whole class,they are classmates. �Partner � is not an exact synonym of �classmate �. With older students �colleagues � is ok, I would say.

20 Mar 2014     

tvillikko
United Kingdom

Forgot to say: I usually say �work with your friends... � instead of �classmates � because I assume that they are all friends in class. I feel this is the most common expression. Tanja

20 Mar 2014     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

Thanks for your answers. I am very grateful.
Yolanda

20 Mar 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

If you want other words that mean about the same as "classmate," try "fellow student" or even "colleague."

20 Mar 2014     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Yolanda

My students sit in groups of 4.  I use:

Work with a partner - meaning one person in your group (next to or opposite you)
Work with the person next (or opposite) to you
Work with your group

If I do a whole class activity I use classmates.

Friends is a good term for primary/secondary students.

Cheers

Jayho

20 Mar 2014     

FrauSue
France

Hi Yolanda,

I would use "friends" or "others in the class" for general group work. "Partners" are for pair work, as stated above. I don �t think "colleague" is correct for a school environment. 

Other ideas:
work with each other 
work with another pupil
discuss with your peers (more formal)
work with a friend
work in a small group
work in groups of three
work in groups of four
talk to someone else in the class 
compare your answers with another pupil

21 Mar 2014     

edrodmedina
United States

Hello Yoli. I have my students pair up as partners or buddies.

21 Mar 2014