Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Should vs Can     

Should vs Can

valentinaper
Greece

In most cases, �can � conveys the propositional meaning of a suggestion.
e.g. You can try that new store we were talking about. (that �s my suggestion, but there are other options)

�Should � carries the propositional meaning of advice.
e.g. You should apologize to him. (that �s your only option I agree with)

22 Mar 2014     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Sorry, cunliffe, we �ll have to ask Victor if corrections are allowed ... I �ve been corrected (luckily, so I learn!) some times and have done so some times, too. I guess it all depends how somebody corrects somebody else ... as long as they are polite, it �s just a different opinion. Have a nice Saturday, everyone :-)

22 Mar 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

As sony points out, �advices � is a clear mistake, not really a debating point, so I thought a pm to the writer would be more diplomatic, but maybe it �s OK. I guess if we teach English, we should get it right.  I went to a presentation last week, given by two English teachers and I noticed three mistakes, including a misplaced apostrophe. I said nowt, but I was itching to point them out! Maybe I should have. 

Edit: And maybe I was impolite to point out Sonyta�s impoliteness Wink I don�t think it�s against any rules. 

22 Mar 2014     

Sonn
Russian Federation

Food for thought: Just imagine that the teacher who made a mistake can receive hundreds of pms informing him/her about the same mistake.

Nevertheless I think mistakes should be corrected, especially in the wss and ppts. A PM is a less harmful way, I think.

22 Mar 2014     

Jayho
Australia

Personally, I didn�t find that reply (or any reply) impolite. It had a smiley at the end.   But I did find it interesting that you were doing exactly what you said shouldn�t be done. Wink

Cheers

Jayho

22 Mar 2014     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Just to call it a night, if I make a mistake, please DO correct me !  I �ll be happy to learn from native speakers such as yourselves ... Good Sunday to all ... off to bed here now Sleepy

22 Mar 2014     

mirelli
Brazil

Well,I �ve made a mistake and I think all of us can make mistakes.Thanks for the ones that helped me.

23 Mar 2014     

MissAndreaP
Argentina

Mirelli please tell us how it went! Thanks Jayho for supporting my explanation! In the future it would be nice that, apart from corrections, we all could focus on the real topic of the forum and help each other beyond a writing mistake. :)   

23 Mar 2014     

< Previous   1    2