Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > About naming tests    

About naming tests

oumsalsabil
Algeria

About naming tests

Hi there,
I want to know how you would name  a  test or a quiz that you give your learners without letting them know when they will take it before. Is it okey to name it a surprising test? I remember I heard it a long time ago on the BBC radio, but I �m not quite sure if it was used to refer to the  type of test I �m talking about or not.
THX in advance! 

5 Apr 2014      

douglas
United States

Pop quiz!

You could also say an unannounced test, but pop quiz is pretty prevalent (in the USA at least).

5 Apr 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Spot test.  (I guess it�s short for �on the spot test�.) 

5 Apr 2014     

oumsalsabil
Algeria

What about surprising test? Does it convey the meaning and sound correct to you or not??
In his last visit, the inspector of English didn �t agree on the use of this term thinking that it �s a literal translation from Arabic to English. Do you think so??

5 Apr 2014     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

I think the inspector is right. 

it is better to say pop quiz.

5 Apr 2014     

douglas
United States

"surprising test" sounds strange- "surprise test" would work, but not "surprising"

5 Apr 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I asked my husband this just now - he isn �t a teacher but he �s English (dull - I was desperate to marry an Italian or an Indian  but he got in my way) and he said �spot test � is fine. He suggested �impromptu test �. �Surprise test � conveys the meaning very clearly.
In the UK, a �pop quiz � is something you do at the pub, about pop music. 

5 Apr 2014