Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Been or Gone    

Been or Gone

sedefg�l
Turkey

Been or Gone

Good evening friends! "I have been to China three times." "I have gone to China three times." I must explain to my student if there is a difference between the two sentences above. Can we use both of these sentences to say that "I have visited China three times so far." or Do we have to use only the first one?

5 Apr 2014      

cukurova
Turkey

I have been to China = I went to China before but now I am back. I have gone to China= I went to China and I am still there( I am not back yet.) If you want to mean that �you have visited China �(a life-long experience),you should use the expression �you have been to China �.

5 Apr 2014     

sedefg�l
Turkey

Thank you �ukurova,but I wonder that in daily life whether natives use "I have gone to China" to express a past experience. As a rule, we must use "I have been to..", however native speakers may be using both of the sentences to express a past experience.

5 Apr 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

�I have been to China three times� is correct. 
�I have gone to China three times� - no. �To have gone� means you haven�t come back.  So you can�t even say �I have gone to China.� You would have to say �I have come to China� because you are still there. 

6 Apr 2014     

yanogator
United States

It must be another difference between BrE and AmE, because here we definitely say, "I have gone to China three times". It has to do with emphasis. "Been" emphasizes the destination, while "gone" emphasizes the trip itself (the going).

What did you do last year?
I went to China.
Oh, have you been there more than once?
Yes, I have gone three times.

Bruce

6 Apr 2014     

sedefg�l
Turkey

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanations cunliffe and Bruce. I thought using "I have gone to China three times" in daily speech might be possible. I see I am both right and wrong because of the difference between BrE and AmE. Thanks again.

6 Apr 2014