Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > The Hague, (the) Naples?    

The Hague, (the) Naples?

alexcure
Poland

The Hague, (the) Naples?

Dear colleagues,

I wonder why I was taught to use the definite article with the town of Naples, I still remember some grammar books which gave this rule, which is not respected at all. As it comes to the Hague, it �s OK, it needs the definite article. 

At once I corrected my pasta recipe (http://angelasdelicacies.blogspot.it/2014/03/makaron-z-cukiniami-po-neapolitansku.html from Naples, I mean I got rid of the definite article I had put before (!) I have no doubt that I did well, as when I browse the Internet I never see "the Naples". 

Wasn �t it an old rule? I wonder if any of you was taught like me. When I visit my family town, I will search for the grammar books which taught this strange rule.

Have a good day,

Alex

11 Apr 2014      

Sonn
Russian Federation

As far as I know, in "The Hague"  The should be written with a capital letter.

e.g. Their seat was located in The Hague.

UPD. In Wikipedia, "the Naples" is used only with "the Naples (urban/metropolitan) area" or with the Naples Metro/Museum etc.

11 Apr 2014     

alexcure
Poland

Yes, Sonn, this I am familiar with, thank you.

My question is connected with "the Naples" in the same usage as "the Hague", as exceptions. We were taught it and I remember some British English grammar books with this rule. 

11 Apr 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi alex - I �ve never heard �the Naples. �

11 Apr 2014     

alexcure
Poland

Thanks, Lynn. 

(I will search for this grammar book, just out of the curiosity!)LOL

11 Apr 2014     

yanogator
United States

I �m not familiar with "The Naples", either. Also, Sonn is right about capitalizing The Hague.

Bruce

11 Apr 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I hope you find it, Alex! I can sense your disappointment... Wink Just for a laugh, while on Italian cities, the English translation of Livorno is ...Leghorn! Weird!

11 Apr 2014     

Sonn
Russian Federation

I think that the is used with metropolitan areas. I checked some other metropolitan areas and the is used with the names of such cities if the word area is written.

e.g the Toronto area
the Vancouver area
the Montreal Metropolitan Community
the Mumbai suburban district
the Kolkata metropolitan area
the Jakarta area
the Tel Aviv area
the Jerusalem Municipality
the Madrid metropolitan area
the Barcelona metropolitan area
the Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality
the İzmir Metropolitan Municipality