Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Closure or closing?    

Closure or closing?

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Closure or closing?

Dear colleagues,

I need help from native speakers.

Would you accept both words as correct in the sentence:

-When large profits fail to materialize it can often result in the business facing CLOSURE -CLOSING soon after New Year.

I know the noun CLOSURE is OK, however, I �m not sure whether it is natural to use the  gerund CLOSING. Can you say why CLOSING is correct or not? As a gerund it is grammatically correct but I don �t know if native speakers would use it in this example.

I appreciate your help and wish you a nice day.

29 Apr 2014      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Better would be �having to close � as �facing closing � does sound a bit funny. 

By the way, a word to the wise Wink, Bruce answered this and that should be that. 

29 Apr 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Not a native, sorry:) Here �s my variant for the natives who don�t like closure;)
When large profits fail to materialize it can often result in closing of the business soon after New Year.

I don�t get why closure is wrong...
Have a look at the examples here.

29 Apr 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Sophia, I was just commenting on �closing �. �Closure � is fine. 

29 Apr 2014     

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Thank you all for your replies.

The thing is cunliffe that I can �t say to to the students that something sounds funny but should be able to say that sth is right or wrong. It is obvious from your answers that native speakers would not use CLOSING (for whatever reason).

30 Apr 2014