Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Little time for planning    

Little time for planning

carinita
Argentina

Little time for planning

How do you optimize your time for planning lessons? When I don �t have much time to plan, I deliver traditional lessons. Most students get bored with this type of lessons. At which moment during a day could I plan if I have little time? I �m busy all afternoons.

29 Apr 2014      

ELOJOLIE274
France

I usually plan ahead (during the holidays) and after school if I see my lesson didn �t go as planned (the students had more trouble than I thought etc...) I update my lesson plan for the next days...

30 Apr 2014     

Jayho
Australia

These days, my planning time is seriously being eroded by administrative burdens.  As such, I sometimes find myself without proper planning and have to wing it. What surprises me is that often these turn out to be fabulous lessons making me wonder why I previously spent so much time planning.

The lesson I learned is not to over-plan and to include more spontaneous activities based on student interests at the time. 

Cheers

Jayho

30 Apr 2014     

morenopalomares
Spain

I feel exactly the same as Jahyo, too much red tape that "eats" your planning time. I am with you.

30 Apr 2014     

carinita
Argentina

Updating. Great idea elojolie274.
Jayho and morenopalomares. I �ll try to wind down and enjoy more ;)

30 Apr 2014     

Makigi
Croatia

I agree with you all, learning process should be spontaneous and based on ss � interests, but here in croatia teachers must prepare a lesson plan with all the questions AND ss � possible answers. (so, basicaly, I have to use my psychic abilities everyday as I plan my lessons...and they say teaching is easy :)) so, I AM really annoyed I can �t wing it :)

1 May 2014     

carinita
Argentina

ShockedLOL

4 May 2014     

Raissa
Brazil

I like to plan my classes previously because it makes me more confident, but sometimes I just have to stick to the book and traditional classes. I think students should have both: grammar traditional classes and more creative ones. But sometimes the best activities, specially speaking ones are made during the class, you just come up with them. 
I like to prepare PPPs, they are very easy to prepare (simple ones), you can add pictures and teach vocabulary, and from the pictures you can create discussions. For instance, once I prepared a PPP with quantifiers and food. Just a pic and a name on the PPP and it was amazing. We started talking about the amount of food they are used to eating, what they like or dislike to eat. So, we got a speaking + vocabulary class and it was very easy and fast to prepare.

;)  

19 May 2014