Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > iPads in the classroom    

iPads in the classroom

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Just in case you �d like to equip the ipads with free quality apps
My Word Book and if you scroll down that page you �ll see lots of other apps from the British Council (that must be an authority enough for you boss, don �t you think?)
Wordician is also free.

@Ana: Thank you for the article:)!

17 May 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Thanks for your help, guys. I now know what Apps are, but I �m not yet convinced of their usefulness. The links you mentioned are very interesting, though. My favourite link was Anaram �s. My favourite statements from that article: �The idea that an app on an iPad can better teach my kids to read or do arithmetic, that�s ridiculous.� And: �Teaching is a human experience. Technology is a distraction when we need literacy, numeracy and critical thinking.� And �Engagement is about human contact, the contact with the teacher, the contact with their peers.� I have this, and I enhance it with my Smart board and i.e. my latest �talking � PowerPoint. For those without a smart board, check out how to get a cheapy at www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQJQFTHiPJo. If I find a cheap A/C, too, I �ll let you know, Jayho. Cheers, Peter.

17 May 2014     

EstherLee76
Peru

What a fascinating discussion.  Thanks for bringing up the topic, Peter.  A very intriguing NY article as well.  I have been teaching for 20 years now.  When I started, everyone was talking about Student-Based Learning; then it was the Communicative Approach, then Topic-Based Learning, then Teaching for Understanding, then CLIL, now everyone around here is talking about Enquiry Based Learning.

I started working in a Montessori school last year.  Her approach encompassed all these �fads� and more a hundred years ago.  The Montessori Method encourages resisting the use of computers until the students can dominate the use of books.  I definitely use computers in my classroom for phonics and reading and I use a lot of instructional videos on Youtube.  But it�s only one small part of what my students engage in during class time.   They still need to read, write, talk, build, explore, play, etc. etc.  Learning to speak English is learning to function successfully in an environment where English is used and computers are only one small part of that, I think.

18 May 2014     

FrauSue
France

There �s some good tips from the UK MFL community at the following locations: 

18 May 2014     

< Previous   1    2