Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > what tense?    

what tense?

tommy1996
Vietnam

what tense?

I wonder if we had to use what tense in these sentences
1.Peter (live).....................in Manchester for 10 years, then he moved to London.
2.It doesn�t  stop raining.It�������the whole day.(rain)
please help me.thanks

22 May 2014      

yanogator
United States

1. lived
2. either "will rain" or "will have rained" is correct. However, there should be a comma after "raining" instead of a period.

Bruce

22 May 2014     

Racha Farhani
Tunisia

1-Peter had been living in Manchester for 10 years,then he moved to London.
I think that the past perfect can also be used in this case.
2-It doesn �t stop raining.It has been raining the whole day.
the present perfect progressive is used to show the length of the action that started in the past and still continuing up to the moment of speaking.
I hope this may help you .

22 May 2014     

angliz teacher
Tunisia

1. had lived or had been living
2. has been raining

22 May 2014     

yanogator
United States

I �m sorry, I misread your second example. I thought it said "If it doesn �t stop raining..."
Now that I see it correctly, I agree with "has been raining". I �m staying with "lived" for the first one, though. No need to make the sentence more complicated than it needs to be.

Bruce

22 May 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

I �m with Bruce. KISS Keep it super simple.  Also, the �problem � is with the word �then �. We should say "First he lived in M, then he moved to L." We all agree on the "It has been raining all day."  Cheers, Peter

22 May 2014     

douglas
United States

Here �s a wrench for the machine:

"It doesn �t stop raining. It rains the whole day."

(We �ve started with simple present, so we should stay with it--to use "it has been raining" the intro should be "it hasn �t stopped raining").

As for #1, I think all three choices would work.

23 May 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It doesn �t stop raining. It rains the whole day.
It refers to Scotland. :-)

23 May 2014     

darryn
United Kingdom

I think to fit those sentences you need 1. lived 2. rains.

23 May 2014     

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

"It doesn �t stop raining " s a claim which presents a fact. With facts and general truths, we use the present simple. So the verb of the second sentence should be based on the verb of the first sentence. It rains the whole day. Now if the first sentence reads: "It hasn �t stopped raining". The second sentence should read as follows: "It has been raining the whole day". Any answer apart from that is not logical. The question is: where did you find this sentence? It might have been written by someone who has little knowledge about the English language. I totally agree with cunliffe for this is common sense! By the way, I am a professor of applied linguistics, and it have never come across such a sentence. When we devise grammar exercises about tenses, we should provide our students with a very clear context so that they can use the correct tense. As for the second example: " Peter (live) ______________ in Manchester for 10 years, and then he moved to London", it should be: "Peter lived" and neither had lived nor had been living for the following reasons.
1) The action of living was completed in the past. 
2) The past perfect is used with two actions, with one that preceded the other. In the example above, the adverb "then" makes it clear that living in Manchester preceded moving to London, so the past simple can serve the purpose. 
3) "live" is a verb of continuity, so either the simple or the progressive is fine, and there �s no difference between them. 
when we reached the airport, the plane had already left. In this example, the use of the past perfect is obligatory. But if we use "after" for instance, we can say: "After we reached the airport, the plane left". As you can see, it is clear which action took place first because of the adverb "after". 

23 May 2014     

tommy1996
Vietnam

thanks for everyone �s opinions.
i am still confused.so i need some more discussion!

23 May 2014