Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > "Sensible" and "sensitive"    

"Sensible" and "sensitive"

irisha_dl
United Kingdom

"Sensible" and "sensitive"

Hi everyone, I need to �describe difference between these two words, in my project, how I wrote it, my tutor didn �t like, so I am asking you for help. any ideas? thank you everyone

11 Feb 2009      

EvaGG
Spain

This is what I understand for sensible: somebody that thinks twice before doing something and makes analisis of the situation before acting. In spanish that would be "sensato".
Sensitive means somebody that is afected by everything that happens around. In spanish that would be "sensible".

Hope you have it more clear.....

11 Feb 2009     

Zora
Canada

Sensible is somebody who is level-headed.

Sensitive is somebody who �s emotional.

More or less those are "easiest" ways to explain the different between the two. There are obviously other synonyms we could use or add to each one especially "sensitive" which could also means "perceptive"...

11 Feb 2009     

douglas
United States

Good answer Zora!

12 Feb 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

It �s a little confussing to translate them into Spanish  since they have similarities in spelling but the opposite in meaning. I mean:

Sensitive = Sp. sensible

Sensible = Sp. sensitivo , sensato.

My current students don �t get it yet, they use them as in spanish meaning. I �ve explained to them more than 10 times but I �ll keep using these two words so they get used to .

Miss Melissa. Hug

13 Feb 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Iryna

Each of these words has multiple meanings and you probably need to refer to all the definitions.  You probaly also need to refer to the root word, suffixes and prefixes that go with the root word.  When teaching these words we teach in context and so one meaning will not fit all situations yet the root and prefixes/suffixes will give us an idea of meaning.

Also, I have a feeling that in the old days sensitive was the same as sensible.

Cheers

Jayho

20 Feb 2009