Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Bad slang lesson    

Bad slang lesson

sanasana
Ukraine

Bad slang lesson

Dear friends!

I �m on the hook of my young adults Intermediate  group :) They �ve asked me to have kind of a "bad words and dirty slang" lesson. And just fancy on what thin ice i am now, trying to have this lesson within limiits.
Has anyone of you, guys, ever had any similar request? I tend to think i better do it but i have a lack of "proper" materials :)  Please clue me if any idea hits you! 
Have a nice day!

27 May 2014      

darryn
United Kingdom

I don �t feel totally comfortable to help with this, but here are a few for you. I will try to ignore the taste in my mouth. Piss artist  - drunkard, pissed-drunk , on the piss-  drinking session (going to bars), a waster - lazy person who hates work, a bum- person living on the streets, a nutter- crazy person , flipped his lid-gone crazy . Maybe there is a braver person out there that will supply you with more hardcore stuff. Good luck with your lesson. Darryn.

P.S. I will open the ball with-a tart- a woman who looks cheap, wears gaudy clothes,  and is easily available for sex.

27 May 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

I also teach adults, so I have some experience with this. If one of my students asks, I will answer honestly and tell them that it is a word that many people find offensive. Taboo words aren �t limited to George Carlin �s Seven Filthy Words, either. Slurs are especially offensive now.

As for a lesson: get a list of offensive words and gestures (such as raising only the middle finger) in English, as comprehensive as possible. See how many your class can come up with. Discuss why these words are considered bad. Talk about when it �s okay to use these words and when it isn �t. Maybe you can find examples of people getting into trouble after using these words. (Google Donald Sterling, for example. He was the owner of an NBA team who was forced to sell when a recording of him calling players n-----s surfaced.) Maybe you could also discuss some of the differences in bad words in English and bad words in Ukrainian. And finally, discuss more acceptable ways to express the concepts.

And remind your students that they will be in trouble if they use any of these words in class outside of a lesson! It �s important that your students know what not to say, too.

Edit: Looking at Darryn�s post, a few of his references were unfamiliar to me as an American. That might be another aspect to keep in mind. Where are different offensive words or phrases used?

27 May 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Let �s be honest, and accept that bad language is part of daily life. Here in Australia people swear quite a bit. And certain words are more offensive than others. We �d better teach them (the words and the differences) before they use these words inapropriately. After all, if they watch movies on TV etcetera, they will learn these words anyway. On the bright side, the F-word is the most versatile word in the English language. See the youtube link for some fun teaching of this (original german!) word at www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mdTTjqiEN8.  Cheers, Peter.  P.s. I found this on the web, too, which may be of help to you. http://www.catesol.org/06Doyle.pdf.

27 May 2014     

morenopalomares
Spain

You may want to take a look at this worksheet about ways of saying stuipid (some are quite offensive).

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=728757#thetop

I �ve got a "slang" lst, too. If you send me a pm with your e-mail I can forward it to you.

28 May 2014     

douglas
United States

I agree with Peter 100%-better they know the correct meaning of what they are saying or hearing. The word "bitch" for example, is often misunderstood and misinterpreted yet most esl speakers know the word--best you explain its different meanings, connotations, and developing meanings.

Urban Dictionary (Google it) is a good resource (when used together with a "real" dictionary) fo rthis type of lesson.

28 May 2014     

sanasana
Ukraine

Dear guys!
Thank you so much for your replies and ideas! 
You �ve really helped a lot!

28 May 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

you might find this one useful (maybe not exactly the bad language you�re looking for but it focuses on slang)

28 May 2014