Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > help with tenses    

help with tenses

tommy1996
Vietnam

help with tenses

please help me with the tense of the sentences :

1.She ������......by her cousin and a couple of her friends.(meet)

2.Helen can�t take a photo because she ������..her camera.(not get)

3.He says she�s 17 but I ���������..it.(not believe)

thanks

29 May 2014      

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

1. Has been met (we don �t know when she was met. The focus is on the action of meeting and not the time when she was met, the the present perfect passive is the safest tense to use in this example. 
2. Doesn �t get ( I think this sentence has a problem). If get means take, the tense would be the present perfect: because she hasn �t taken her camera. 
3. Don �t believe (still does not believe him). 

29 May 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

nasreddine Sarsar is right. Also, for 1. was met 
2. I wonder whether in brackets it should read (not got), in which case it would be �hasn �t got � or else it is �didn �t get �. In which case, �in time � would follow naturally. 

29 May 2014     

yanogator
United States

For #1, there is no indication of the tense at all, just that it is Passive Voice.
"will be met" works just as well as "was met", and "is being met" also works. To me, "has been met" is much less likely.
I totally agree with Lynne on #2 that "hasn �t got" is the answer, and I think the poser of the question was just using the fact that "got" is a form of "get".
For #3, yes, it �s Simple Present (don �t believe).

Bruce

29 May 2014     

FrauSue
France

#3 could also be "will not believe" if you are emphasising your incredulity. He says she �s 17 but I WILL NOT believe it = I refuse to believe it.
However I agree that simple present makes the most sense in the context of a grammar exercise.

30 May 2014