Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Mix Questions Help me please    

Mix Questions Help me please

miss noor
Palestine

Mix Questions Help me please

Hello
How do you do ?

I have many questions and i wish you help me

Which is correct :
1- Britailn Flag       or Britain �s flag ? 
2- Good Luck with your exam          or      Good luck on your exam      or   Good luck in your exam 

Which answer is correct   Do you like school ?
 - Yes, I do           or           yes, I like it.

The final question is :
How can I be fluent in English speaking ?

I wait your help

11 Feb 2009      

Zora
Canada

Correct options:

b) Britain �s Flag (better British Flag)

Good luck with / on your exam... (both are fine)

Do you like school ?
 - Yes, I do   (correct answer)

And:

How can I be fluent in speaking English? (Still strange sounding to me though... and I don �t know why.. maybe I am just tired...)

11 Feb 2009     

miss noor
Palestine

Thank you  for your reply

How can I be fluent in speaking English? (Still strange sounding to me though... and I don �t know why.. maybe I am just tired...)

Because I am Arabic not English native speaker

11 Feb 2009     

Pajalito
Colombia

The best way to improve your English is to practice.  Unfortunatley this not always easy in countries were it is not a common language.  Try to find an English club or start one yourself.  If that is difficult or impossible, music is a good way to learn, and watching movies.  You can learn alot of expressions that you won �t find in books. 

11 Feb 2009     

Genius71
Germany

Hi there...

1. --> Britain�s flag? 
2. --> Good Luck with your exam is the only correct version as:

On is a preposition which describes a position. On the table / On the top / On the shelf / ...
So... here one thing is on another thing. (A book is standing on the shelf.)

In ... is a preposition which also describes a position: in the box / in the church / in the house (You sit in the church.)
Combined: You sit in the church on a bench. (Got it? :-) )

Maybe you find a book with only prepositions in it?? - It �s always helpful to have some drawings showing what which preposition means and I can �t draw here :-(

Which answer is correct   Do you like school ?
 - Yes, I do           or           yes, I like it.
BOTH are correct!

The final question is :
How can I be fluent in English speaking ?
--> Try to find a penpal who �s a native speaker of english! - Watch movies ... listen to the radio... read books... Communicate and practice! :-)

Good luck!! :-)

11 Feb 2009     

freddie
Canada

Hi everyone

Please pardon me Genius71 but as a native Canadian English speaker we (as Zora says), in Canada would definitely say either good luck on or with your exam. `On` is a preposition of location as you said so it can be used to state the location of the luck I am wishing you : ). I can`t speak for Brits, Americans, Aussies or Kiwis though. 

Both Britain`s flag and the British flag are possible.

I would answer Do you like school? with  Yes, I do not Yes, I like it. It`s not grammatically wrong to say Yes, I like it, but it sounds awkward to my ear. What do others say? 

11 Feb 2009     

Zora
Canada

I agree wholeheartedly with the most sagacious Freddie ON this topic. Wink But I must put in my two cents here and humbly point out that "on" is not only a preposition but an adjective as well as an adverb... AND as a preposition it has more than one function: see dictionary please:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/on

Also, answering "Yes, I like it..." is very unnatural sounding and.... if a person is not careful, using this form could lead students to use "Yes, I like" which is VERY wrong. Confused ... my opinion is that - either you should use a "yes, I do/no, I don �t" response or quite simply answer with a "yes or no".

11 Feb 2009     

manuelanunes3
Portugal

Hi!

Yes, I do. 
grammatically correct.

Yes, I like it.
The way people talk (?)

I think there are many things that people "say" and because of that they are accepted, although there is always a correct grammatically version.

I have the idea that with and on are both correct, but I would say "with your exam".

11 Feb 2009     

freddie
Canada

Sagacious! hmmm...I like it! Thank you to the very erudite Zora. Smile

And quite right about the many uses of `on`. Thanks for the reminder and the link!

11 Feb 2009     

liverpuliana
Spain

What we teach in Spain when we teach grammar is that for short answers you use subject plus auxiliary verb and not main verb and we really emphasize on that. Therefore, I wouldn �t accept "Yes, I like it" as a correct answer.
I would say British flag, and so would my partner, (he is from Great Britain).
Good luck on your exam sounds good to me, and so does good luck with your exams.
Being fluent is a question of practising as much as possible, with native speakers preferibly.
Watching the telly in English is great too, and reading in English as much as you can (books, newspapers, magazines).
Also, if you have easy access to Internet choose English webs if possible. That �s what I do anyway.
Hugs from Spain

11 Feb 2009     

Genius71
Germany

Hi Freddie :-)

Thanks for the correction of my words / your additional words. - Glad to learn sth new from a native speaker as I didn �t know about that you can also say: "... on your exam" :-)

In the flag question I completely agree with you.

And with this:
Yes, I do. / Yes, I like it....

Maybe it �s like manuela said ... the last one is the way people talk (?) ... But if it sounds awkward to your ear ... we �d better take care of your ears?! :-)

11 Feb 2009     

1    2    Next >