Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Agree to , Agree, or Agree on?...    

Agree to , Agree, or Agree on?...

douglas
United States

Agree to , Agree, or Agree on?...

Hi all,
I have once again come across something that has made me unsure on something. In my experience, we US English speakers say that parties agreed to terms, agreed on terms or came to an agreement on terms.

I often see in news sources simply "agree terms".  I sthis a BE vs AE thing?

example from BBC:

YouTube will remove music videos by artists such as Adele, Arctic Monkeys and Radiohead, because the independent labels to which they belong have refused to agree terms with the site.

and:

The three major labels - Universal, Sony and Warner - have all agreed terms with the site, but smaller independents are holding out.

What �s "right" here?

cheers,
Douglas

17 Jun 2014      

manonski (f)
Canada

I �ve never seen "agree terms" or "agreed terms" but I guess it is legal lingo and also, I never read the fine print. Wink

Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don �t. ~Pete Seeger

17 Jun 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I guess it �s like "agree a price" so totally legit. 

17 Jun 2014     

yanogator
United States

I agree, Douglas, that we don �t say it here.

Bruce

17 Jun 2014     

anaram
Spain

I �m not a native speaker but you do find "agree terms" in the BNC (British National Corpus) and not in the COCA (Corpus of Contemporary American English), so I guess it is BE vs AE.

17 Jun 2014     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Douglas

Agreed terms is ok, if agreed is being used as an adjective.  This is common but I usually see it written or spoken as all have agreed terms rather than have all agreed terms.  Also, they have agreed terms, look at the agreed terms etc

agree terms is incorrect. It could be changed to agreement terms (terms of agreement) or agree to terms.

You �d have to check with a BE speaker because down here at the bottom of the globe we use a mish mash of BE and US English.

Cheers

Jayho

17 Jun 2014     

douglas
United States

Thanks all.

Still not really clear on when to correct what, but it �s good to know that this is a bit unclear overall.

19 Jun 2014