Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Hello! In need of tips    

Hello! In need of tips

carinita
Argentina

Hello! In need of tips

I �m teaching the same grammar point in two courses of about 20 students each. (15 year old sts) The structure I �m introducing is like, love, hate + noun and like, love, hate+ gerund.
I provided some examples myself containing both structures. Then, I asked students to do this activity:

4- Choose the correct answer:

Example: Sara and Alma ( likes - like) shopping.

1-      We love ( play-playing-played) football.

2-      These students love ( reading �read - reads) books.

3-      Our parents (likes-like-liked) watching the Football World Cup at home.

4-      A lot of people don�t like ( eat-ate-eats-eating) broccoli.

5-      Damian (likes- like) ( eat-ate-eats-eating) salgados.

(There were more sentences but I omitted them for the sake of brevity)

Few students could choose the ing form among the options. Other students chose the incorrect options (for instance, the base form of the verb) Any ideas so that students understand this point clearly? Thanks!!!

22 Jun 2014      

ironik
Australia

I think the best way is to teach it explicitly, like saying which verbs take gerund and which infinitive. And the best practice is repetition as much as possible I suppose.
A nice game for practice, 15 year olds may like a little competition :)
http://www.cambridge.org/grammarandbeyond/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Communicative_Activity_Hi-BegIntermediate-Infinitives_Gerunds.pdf

22 Jun 2014     

carinita
Argentina

I only taught verbs that are followed by gerund I �m not going to delve into verb + to infinitive form Thanks anyway! Bingo Good idea!

22 Jun 2014     

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

The key to it is explicit exposure. The more you expose your students to the target structure, the easier the assimilation process will be.
Here is how you can proceed:
First present the new structure. Then ask your students to give you some examples of the structure you have introduced through guided practice. For instance:
Teacher: �I like playing football. What about you John? � John might say : � I like play video games! � Highlight the error that the student has made on the board, and then get your students to correct it. We normally learn through our mistakes.
Once done with guided practice, you move on to free practice. Ask your students to write about two things they like and two things they hate. Before you have them to do the activity, you need to model it. First talk about yourself. Write two things you like doing and two things you hate doing. After that, and before you get feedback, ask students to check each other �s sentences. This is called peer correction.  The final stage would be the closure. Here you need to assess your students � learning. Give them the exercise you typed in this message. Normally, things would be fine. I hope my tips will be of some help to you. One thing you should remember: if your input is comprehensible, the students � production will be satisfactory. Wish you the best of luck dear friend.
The model of your lesson should be as follows: ESA
1. Engage your students (by making the topic interesting for them.
2. Study: take them through a number of learning activities to master the structure.
3. Activate: Let them use what they have learned freely.

22 Jun 2014     

carinita
Argentina

Thanks nasreddine for remining me of ESA ;)

22 Jun 2014     

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

You �re welcome. Good night. Time to go to bed. 

22 Jun 2014