Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > difference of could I, can i, may i    

difference of could I, can i, may i

mahlove
Japan

difference of could I, can i, may i

Hi everybody, can you please explain the difference of could I, can I, may I? I know they are all the same asking permission or request. Thank you.

24 Jun 2014      

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

They all serve the same purpose when it comes to asking for permission. The only difference between them is the degree of formality. 

24 Jun 2014     

korova-daisy
Russian Federation

To ask for a permission the most proper variant  (the original one) is "May I ...?".

But lately "Can I ... ?"  (which originally meant physical and mental ability  to do smth)  began to be used with  the same meaning. But it sounds a bit rude. 

To make it more polite, you should use "Could I ...?"

24 Jun 2014     

ELOJOLIE274
France

at dinner:
a child to his mother: "can I have some bread?" totally correct, polite
a teenager to his mother:"mum, could I go out saturday night?" more polite, the underlying meaning is "i probably won �t be allowed to go out but if i ask very nicely maybe..."

with "may I" you �re even more formal, even more formal, you can use it when talking to your boss "Sir, if you don �t need me anymore, may I have the rest of the afternoon off / may I leave early tonight etc...?" or at dinner "may I leave the table please?"

24 Jun 2014     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I would agree with Nasreddine, it is all a question of formality.  When I �m speaking to a friend I would say "can I go with you" and not "may I go with you".

24 Jun 2014     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree with Giovanni. Can is the norm in many families (when being informal). For example, "Can you pass the potatoes?" sounds normal to me, and not rude.

24 Jun 2014     

FrauSue
France

Children in the UK are often taught to say "may I" instead of "can I" to ask for permission because "can I" is seen by some people to be rude.

25 Jun 2014     

mahlove
Japan

thank you so much guys... till next time. cheers!

25 Jun 2014