Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Sharing experiences    

Sharing experiences

carinita
Argentina

Sharing experiences

Hello! What do you do when you don �t have interests in common with your young students? How do you build up a good relationship without trying to like what they like or make them like what you like? Thanks!

25 Jun 2014      

gloriawpai
Brazil

It �s not a matter of trying to like what they like. I usually ask them about their favorite singers, food, places, so I have an idea of what they are interested in and then I always get materials, or topics related. It �s a way to motivate them and have a pleasant class. 

25 Jun 2014     

Doot
Canada

Sometimes you just have a difficult class where a few bring down the others who are interested and motivated.  I find letting students know the objective for your lessons helps.  Sometimes asking them what they wany and then trying to incorporate some of their ideas into meaningful lessons helps.  Sometimes you just have to be firm and stick to what you know is in their best interest and ignore their comments.  I find building relationships develops by talking to them before class, after class etc.

26 Jun 2014     

carinita
Argentina

Thanks for commenting!

26 Jun 2014