Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Are we too strict?    

Are we too strict?

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Are we too strict?

Hi all. Are we - I �m really asking moderators - but anyone might have an opinion - too strict with ourselves? For example, we ban use of copyright materials that other sites don �t really worry about. Should we let more go? For example Garfield comic strips, pictures from the Snowman?

Just interested! What do you think?

1 Aug 2014      

maestralidia
Italy

I agree with you dear Cunliffe. we often make good worksheets or power point with original pictures from famous story books(ex. the snowman or the very hungry caterpillar...), movies or cartoons because they really motivate kids. In many other sites we can upload them without problems, but not here. In my opinion it would be nice to review the rules. thank you Cunliffe. bye. Lidia

1 Aug 2014     

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

I agree. Sometimes we are more papal than the pope in my opinion.

1 Aug 2014     

dackala
Serbia

I think so. When I first became a member my printable was reported since it had copyrighted pictures. I didn �t see watermarks so I used them. Also,I didn �t read their rules. However, I didn �t think it was because of images but the content, since I wrote rules but didn �t put exercises. So I uploaded it again with the same pictures and it was reported again. I didn �t know what to do and finally made my own two pictures and Maryse helped me at that time a lot with her drawings. Then luckily some moderators sent me the links to the sites where I can find images for my printables. Of course, copying the exact wss and the similar things are needless to talk about. But for people who spent lots of time making wss and added copyright images are loosing their work because of this and there are many wss here with copyright images already and are not reported. If you report these wss please then report other printables so to be fair-meaning lots of work to do.

1 Aug 2014     

joy2bill
Australia

Yes, for sure. As we are legally allowed to photocopy 10% of a book for educational purposes what is the harm in using a comic strip for a purpose that complements the original. We are not making money from these original works so where is the harm?
Also we are upsetting a lot of new contributors which is sad. Perhaps instead of reporting someone we could send them a short pm advising them of the issue and showing them how to correct it.
IMHO Joy

2 Aug 2014     

joy2bill
Australia

Yes, for sure. As we are legally allowed to photocopy 10% of a book for educational purposes what is the harm in using a comic strip for a purpose that complements the original. We are not making money from these original works so where is the harm?
Also we are upsetting a lot of new contributors which is sad. Perhaps instead of reporting someone we could send them a short pm advising them of the issue and showing them how to correct it.
IMHO Joy

2 Aug 2014     

carinaluc
Argentina

One of my first contributions has been reported for allegedly breaking the rules of the site, when in fact these rules were established after I uploaded the worksheet years ago. What it is worse is that it was reported as being "a copy from Spanish", when in fact it is an English-Spanish glossary. I remember that we (moderators) were asked not to report worksheets that had been uploaded before the new rules were issued. Yet, as I don �t actually need the points, I want to delete the reported worksheet myself, but I can �t. I agree with Joy, a pm first would have been really useful as I would have simply deleted the worksheet. Carina

2 Aug 2014