Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > An extra job for moderators    

An extra job for moderators

you_per7
Algeria

An extra job for moderators

DEAR VICTOR,
As you can see, we are often having troubles with spams and repeated posts as well as some political topics.
I hope to create a new task for super moderators with 10.000 points or more which give them the right to delete this kind of posts...

3 Aug 2014      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Why should a moderator have the "right" to delete a comment based on his/her points  if the site is Victor �s?

3 Aug 2014     

you_per7
Algeria

Because victor can not do that alone.....sometimes we wait a long period of time before they are deleted.... If he wants to choose active and trust-worthy members to help him...it will be alright.
Even the problem of the pictures� size  posted on the main page need active members to deal with... isa2 has refereed to this :
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=46119

3 Aug 2014     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

You know, You per7, when people, like myself reach a certain age.... Things like spam and specific comments become a part of our lives. We read and analyze it and eventually comment on it:
 No one thinks the same way. Imagine that I like rose and you prefer black, as a moderator, do you think I have the right to delete your comment if I don �t like black?

3 Aug 2014     

you_per7
Algeria

Are there black roses ??Wink
Thanks ascincoquinas for your interest
We should study this topic carefully to have specific rules.
But I think it will not be proper if we see some rude comments or indecent pictures here  for the whole day.....

3 Aug 2014     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Well, I end this "conversation" cause it �s quite difficult to talk to someone like yourself. I was trying to make a simple comparison and you come with "blackroses"...

Young man, just post whatever you like, invent the rules you may think are suitable, but do have in mind that the site is not yours...The web master is Victor Gayol!

Rest my case!

3 Aug 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I want to be the web mistress! He he! Come on, guys, life is too short. 

3 Aug 2014     

you_per7
Algeria

So sorry ascincoquinas I didn �t mean to hurt you. I wanted to make you laugh but it was just misunderstanding...(generation gap)
anyway
I didn �t say I am the webmaster otherwise I would have chosen you to be a supervisor.

cunliffe

Why not... you are always active and helpful as I have noticed
but let �s get other comments.

3 Aug 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

The only part I agree with, You Per7, is the removal of spam. After all, no one will be crying foul over that nonsense. But for all other aspects, we get onto thin ice, as Ligia pointed out very clearly.  Certain topics may cause problems, indeed. I ï¿½ve been in hot water over that, so I know. But most of us are old and/or wise enough to solve such problems, as well, without intervention of some site-police.  In case we need a site mistress, Lynne would not be the only candidate. There are many more cat-lovers here. A bummer for those who prefer dogs  :-)  Cheers, Peter.

3 Aug 2014     

MarionG
Netherlands

I totally agree with ascincoquinas that is not a good idea to give anyone the power to over rule other people �s opinions. (I have over 10.000 points but I do not want that job!)
 I am with Peter on this one. As he pointed out, most of us are old and wise enough to steer away from potential minefields without intervention from above. 
At a family dinner I do not discuss my mother in law �s cooking, and on ESLp I will not get dragged into political or religious debates. Everything has a place.
I hope we can all apply a bit of healthy judgement on what is appropriate and what is not, on a wonderfully multi-cultural site like ESLp. If we can all focus on what brings us together, maybe that in itself will contribute to reducing the effects of what divides us.  

4 Aug 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

To be fair to You per7, I think what he said has possibly been misunderstood. I think he meant that others could assist Victor in the application of the rules i.e. in deleting spam, repeated posts and political threads. Of course deciding what is political and what is not may take a bit of naus, but not the others. That should be clear-cut to anyone intelligent enough to be a moderator. I think that what annoyed ascinoquinas was that someone was setting out to tell Victor the webmaster, what to do. 

4 Aug 2014