Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Direct and indirect objects     

Direct and indirect objects

Soumaya1991
Australia

Direct and indirect objects

Hi all 

I have been asked to teach Direct and Indirect objects. To be honest I get confused with them at some stages. 

So how can I teach my intermediate ESL students?

I feel like I will confuse them and then confuse myself too. 

21 Aug 2014      

Peter Hardy
Australia

They are confusing, Soumaya, and as such I tell my students to call them first and second objects. After all, grammar is not my main purpose, but speaking is. They got it quickly when I called the first object (indirect) the person. It usually comes immediately after the verb. The second (direct) object is a thing, and comes after the first object. People before things was easy to understand. When the �thing � comes first, we use �to � or �for � before the person. Ex: I gave my wife flowers. My wife = person = first. Flowers = things = second. But if the flowers (direct object) are more important, we say "I gave flowers to my wife."  In other words, you might say the indirect object, the person, is the receiver. In dutch grammar it �s called the �cooporating object �. Some verbs do need two objects. As such the dutch naming makes more sence: "I gave her some chocolate." Hope this helps. And remember to check this site for some work- and explanation sheets. Cheers, Peter

21 Aug 2014     

cuderdavis
Spain

I like Peter�s answer.   I also find it advantages to teach the objects progressively because my students are Spanish.  I start with the direct  and later with the indirect object.  I hope this help.

22 Aug 2014     

florimago
Spain

I agree with cuderdavis , I always teach them the direct object and then the indirect object . Just a hint if it helps : if you ask "what" to the verb you �ll get the direct object ( I sent a letter to John . A letter is direct object cause it answers to the question what did you send ?) You �ll get the indirect object if you ask "to whom" ) In the same sentence , John is the indirect object (who did you send the letter ?) Well , I hope it helps . Flori

22 Aug 2014     

Soumaya1991
Australia

Thanks Peter! ill sure try that 

Thanks everyone! Your replies are really helpful :) 

23 Aug 2014