Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > thinkers    

thinkers

anitarobi
Croatia

thinkers

Dear colleagues, When you teach your students to think and express what they think, not just repeat what you say or the book says, which of the wh-words do you consider the most important: who, what, where, when, how or why?

8 Sep 2014      

niksailor
Russian Federation

Hi! Thank you for a good question. To my mind, the formulation of independent ideas should start with "what" to denote what students would like to express. Maybe it is this word that contributes to making up a good plan for communicating your ideas, consequently, it seems to be the most important. The other interrogative words give a specification, that �s why they may be inferioir to "what".
Actually, it depends and I don �t think it is the one possible way to teach students speculate...Ermm 

9 Sep 2014     

douglas
United States

I would say "how" - it forces them to analyze the situation.

9 Sep 2014     

meuge
Argentina

I agree with Douglas... and I woud definitely add Why?- students are forced to think of different possibilities for themselves.

9 Sep 2014     

FrauSue
France

I like "why" - it forces justification of opinions.

24 Sep 2014