Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Most romantic scene ever!    

Most romantic scene ever!

frenchfrog
France

Most romantic scene ever!

I have recently discovered the BBC adaptation of North and South (nothing to do with the Civil War in the US!) by Elizabeth Gaskell and I must say that I have never seen an ending with so much intensity in such simple gestures and lines, especially after all that the two main characters have been going through.

Plot: �From her home ground, her father�s comfortably middle-class living in Hampshire and her aunt�s establishment in Harley Street, Margaret is exiled to the ugly northern industrial town of Milton. Surprisingly, her social consciousness awakens. It is intensified by a relationship with the local mill-owner, Thornton, that combines passionate attraction with fierce opposition. The novel explores the exploitation of the working class, linking the plight of workers with that of women and probing the myth and reality of the �north-south divide�. It is not only Elizabeth Gaskell�s finest novel, but a rare success in English fiction in its fusion of individual feeling with social concern.� (Penguin Classics)

�This is Pride and Prejudice with a social conscience, a collision between Northern no-nonsense and delicate sensibilities.� (Sunday Express)

Now don�t tell me that a couple would never have kissed �like that� in a public place (a train station) in the 19th century! Of course, they would never have done that. Nevertheless, it really IS a nice transposition of the emotional turmoil which is very simply described at the end of the book.

Now, I�ll let you judge by yourselves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyYiwD1Q1aY It is a powerful scene as it is, but it is even more powerful if you know what happened before it.

One last thing: I thought Colin Firth would stay in my heart for ever, undefeated� Well, it was before I met Richard Armitage! (OMG = Oh my God!LOL)

My advice: buy the book and the DVD. There are such great lines in both (ex �I have seen Hell. It is white.�, in reference to the cotton mill). And I know where you can get the music!

Now your turn: What is your favourite romantic scene?

14 Feb 2009      

aura+
Portugal

My favourite romantic scene is from�Emily Bront� �s�Wuthering Heights:�

�Heathcliff: � � �- �...Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living!� You said I killed you--haunt me, then!� The murdered do haunt their murderers.� I believe--I know that ghosts have wandered on earth.� Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!� Oh God! it is unutterable!� I cannot live without my life!� I cannot live without my soul!�.

I love this �book. Has anyone read it?

14 Feb 2009     

gilorit
Israel

Dear Frenchfrog
First - you caught me when you mentioned Colin  Firth. I LOVE him so much !!!
I think "The notebook" is one of the most romantic movies I have seen. I wish everyone finds such great unconditioned love.
I Love movies and I have a list of Great love stories.
Happy Valentine �s Day
Orit

14 Feb 2009     

freddie
Canada

There are so many but one kinda strange but great one is in `As Good As it Gets` with Helen Hunt and Jack Nicholson. Jack is struggling to be romantic but says to her,`You make me want to be a better man.` That is is a great line!

By the way...Freddie is a girl...in case you were wondering : )

14 Feb 2009     

libertybelle
United States

There are really many, many great romantic scenes and not all include kissing.
Some are very down to earth.
This is one of my favorite lines from When Harry Met Sally. It �s at the end of the movie New Year �s Eve when  Harry discovers that their friendship has turned into a deeper love and understanding:

Harry:

I love that you get cold when it �s 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you �re looking at me like I �m nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it �s not because I �m lonely, and it �s not because it �s New Year �s Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.

14 Feb 2009     

spring
Turkey

I know this is a classic but who can forget the movie by Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze????
Especially the scene when they are making pottery with a song background by Righeous Brothers.
It tells us about never ending passion which is hard to find nowadays..

14 Feb 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

I love that scene, Pinar!!!! Ghost is one of my favourite films!!!! So is Titanic!!!

There are many romantic scenes in this film. This is my favourite one:

great idea Frenchfrog!!!

14 Feb 2009     

chorima
Spain

Oh my God! what a touching romantic scene! thanks a lot for the tip, Frenchfrog. I �ll buy the DVD right away.
like Aura, I love Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I think it �s a must.... (both the book and the film adaptation)

14 Feb 2009     

frenchfrog
France

And what about the end of Bridget Jones when Colin Firth leaves only to buy Bridget a new diary simply because it is time she started a new one?

or Love Actually when Colin Firth (again, Orit!!!! LOL) proposes in Portuguese!!! I am sure all the Portuguese teachers here on eslprintables will agree with me!!!

14 Feb 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

Bridget Jones �s Diary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NnmhkKsK1k&feature=PlayList&p=B0397BB69F638FBE&playnext=1&index=41

14 Feb 2009     

chorima
Spain

For those of you who haven�t watched Wuthering Heights (1990s adaptation), check this:

What do you think of Daniel Day Lewis � passion?
Chorima

14 Feb 2009     

1    2    3    Next >