Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Just + Present Continuous    

Just + Present Continuous

dobrawaa
Poland

Just + Present Continuous

Is using "just" with Present Continuous correct?

I �ve heard somewhere that it isn �t and I �m totally surprised because I was taught at school that "just" is one of the typical expressions of this tense.

Help me please :)

1 Oct 2014      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

maybe they meant it is typically used with present perfect in the meaning "very recently"?

BTW it is used with continuous in the meaning "at the moment"
See under # 6 here

1 Oct 2014     

yanogator
United States

In the US, at least, it is definitely common, indicating that the action has recently begun.

I am just preparing my lesson for tomorrow. (meaning that I haven �t started it until now)
We also say "I am just now preparing my lesson" or "I am just preparing my lesson now".

She is just starting dinner.

The usual meaning is an activity that should have begun already, but didn �t until now.

Bruce

1 Oct 2014     

dobrawaa
Poland

Thank you very much for your help.

Ania

1 Oct 2014     

FrauSue
France

"I �m just coming" or "I �m just doing it now" can also be used if someone asks you to do something and you are right in the middle of doing it as they ask you. It �s often used by teenagers who are frustrated with their parents. "Tidy your room! - Yeah, mum, I �m just doing it!"

1 Oct 2014     

Makigi
Croatia

Bruce, that is a really good explanation, thnx!

2 Oct 2014