Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Function of Type 0 Conditionals- help?    

Function of Type 0 Conditionals- help?

ironik
Australia

Function of Type 0 Conditionals- help?

Hello friends,
I am preparing a lesson plan on the differences between conditionals type 0 and 1 for pre-intermediate students, and I want to try dictogloss. I prepared a text to dictate and I need your help with it. So, this is the text: 

If you want some advice on first dates, you are in the right place, my friend. First, choosing where to meet is very important. For example, if she likes cultural activities, sports bar is probably a terrible idea. Your first date might be terrible then. If you don�t know a lot about her, you should take her to a fancy cafe and try to start a conversation. If she doesn�t talk much, you can ask her questions about her hobbies and interests. If she still doesn�t speak, it means she doesn�t like you.

The yellow highlighted ones are type 0, but I don �t know how to explain this function to my students. Can you say they are "facts"  or do I need another term to describe them? What do you think?

13 Oct 2014      

jiratica
Thailand

Hi, 

Your text is great but it may not be a good example for this topic.  It is  some kind of ideas or advice of person not "facts".  Let �s try other text which is clearer.

Hope my comments help...
Rgds,
Jira

13 Oct 2014     

ironik
Australia

Thank you, Jira. I think I �ll change the type 0 ones and just make it a type 1 practice. It might make more sense :)

13 Oct 2014     

yanogator
United States

No matter which type it is, the first part is the "condition". It is the situation that you are explaining the consequences of. It could be a fact, an opinion, an idea, a situation, or any number of other things.

The main difference between types 0 and 1, as I see it, is that type 0 deals with general truths, such as "If you party all night, you fall asleep in school."

Type 1 is very similar, but it deals with a specific situation:
"If you party all night, you will fall asleep in class tomorrow." Using type 1 implies that it is talking about partying tonight, rather than in general.

Bruce

13 Oct 2014     

freddie
Canada

I usually explain that the "if" in type 0 is a general truth, so it can be substituted with "when". 

If I stay up late, I am (generally) tired the next day.
When I stay up late, I am (generally) tired the next day.

But for type 1 you cannot replace if with when as it is a specific condition

If I stay up late (tonight), I will be tired tomorrow.

You cannot substitute "when" in this example as it is specific to that situation, not a general truth

I hope that helps

14 Oct 2014