Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Looking at content    

Looking at content

Nawrocki
Australia

Looking at content

I want to thank you all for the ws and pps I have collected. They have inspired me greatly.
I have noticed that generally those ws that look good get downloaded moreso.

However there are many excellent ws that are not fancy to look at but the quality, content and activities are amazing.

So next time your �re downloading look at the content (not on just how it looks, or how many people have downloaded it). You will be pleasantly surprised.

16 Feb 2009      

Ivona
Serbia

I �m with you. Totally.
But today everything is about the looks and appearance, even the worksheets. It �s the �packaging � that sells the product.
I also do what you do and take a look at those �seemingly unworthy � ws and i do get pleasantly surprised.

16 Feb 2009     

BRAHIM S
France

I do agree with you, and I have already pointed out this here some time ago
I am pretty sure a lot of members dowload worksheets  simply beacuse they see they have  been dowloaded a hundred of times. 
I have often come across extraordinary wroksheets which hardly got 4 o5 dowloads,  and which I found far much better than many others that were particularly successful  maybe thanks to the flashing colours, among other things, which is a pity
Surely the form seems to be more attractive  than content

16 Feb 2009     

reniag
Poland

I TOTALLY AGREE �WITH YOU !!!

I THINK THAT THERE IS FASION TO LOOK MOSTLY AT THE NUMPER OF DOWNLOADS DISREGARDING MANY FANTASTIC WORKSHEETS THAT ARE NOT AS COLORFUL.�

16 Feb 2009     

libertybelle
United States

I also love Black and whites for the younger learners.
The fact that they can color the WS and make it their own
is very important to them.
I feel a good work sheet engages the student and can also
keep them busy for a whole lesson.

L

16 Feb 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Just like Libertybelle and many of you, I love B&W worksheets!

Whenever I see a useful, nice worksheet, be it coloured or B&W, I download it. That �s it!
I don �t download anything because others have done it or just because of the way it looks, and I believe most of you don �t do that either! 

Now, each contributor has his/her own style. And we like some better than others. We may make more downloads  from the ones we like better, that �s only obvious, but it �s wrong to assume that we don �t look at  other contributors � work. We do! 

Personally, I think content, quality is the first priority, but, as I �ve said before, aesthetics is also very important. To me, they go  hand in hand. And I �m not talking here about lots of images and lots of colours. I �m talking about the outline, the structure chosen to present the work, the way we fill a blank page,  the types of letter, the space between lines, the appropriateness of the pictures, etc, etc... A good worksheet has to have that. That �s the way I see it. But I do respect all your opinions on the issue.

Have a good night.
mena

16 Feb 2009     

eng789
Israel

I have found a lot of wonderful b+w wss that are a far better qualtity than many of the over-done popular wss.  The problem is that it takes a long time to find them.  Especially with unseens, it would really help if people would start writing the title or topic so we know if it might interest us instead of  " a lovely ws that your pupils will love."

Unfortunately there are a lot of wss that were uploaded under the wrong category or wrong age group so it take a lot of time to go through them.  I rarely have time to pick through the dailies. 

If the content is good or interesting I don �t mind spending some time fixing a ws.

Thank you all for the wonderful wss that I have been able to find  And I really hope that people think that mine are also useful.

16 Feb 2009     

soleole
Uruguay

I just wanted to say that though I do agree with you guys that content is more important than colours, etc., it is also important to have in mind that diff. students learn in diff. ways. While some students might respond to auditory input (i.e material explained orally), or even kinesthetic (i.e playing with tangible things they can touch or carrying out phisical activities) some others might be more visual and respond better to a more colourful display accompanying the activities/explanation in order to remember the information better or even keep their attention focused.
I, for example, have found that when recalling something I �ve read I always remember the place where I saw it, the page of the book, the colour of the print, the graphs surrounding it, etc... meaning that I learn better with visual queues which can later help me remember the information.
So I think that while content should be the priority (was well as quality of activities etc) it might also be important to present it in a visually engaging way so as to cater to every student �s learning needs.
End of rambling.
Just my $.02
Smile
Sol

16 Feb 2009     

lillaE
Romania

What is your experience ? Which is the best method to teach English language for a 3 rd, 4 th grader as I want him|her to give the best results ? Shall I use auditory input which I rarely use,kinesthetic which I seldom use or visual that I often use ? or combining some ? What do you think ? Thanks !Pig Confused

16 Feb 2009     

douglas
United States

The more inputs you use, the better your chances of success.  That is why video games and computers are so powerful--they use the most inputs (auditory, visual, kinesthetic,...)

Douglas

16 Feb 2009     

soleole
Uruguay

I agree with Douglas, the more inputs you use, not only will the class be more varied but the more chances you have of getting across to all students.
You say (LillaF) that you seldom use auditory, but take into consideration that even talking to them in English and explaining activities/reading out loud/etc. it all counts as auditory input. :o)

17 Feb 2009