Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > It is used to cut food (with)?    

It is used to cut food (with)?

Ruwayda37
Egypt

It is used to cut food (with)?

Hello my colleagues, I must begin by thanking you for always taking the time to help me. I appreciate your contant support. Would you be so kind as to help me with this question too: "We use knives to cut food with." "We use saws to cut wood." Why is the preposition "with" use at the end of the first sentence but not used at the end of the other one? What is the name of grammar rule that guides us here? Thanks again

5 Nov 2014      

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

We cut food with knives
or
We use knives to cut food (with).

We cut wood with a saw
or
We use a saw to cut wood (with).

I see no grammatical difference here. It seems that you have 2 sentences in which you can choose to use the �sentence ending preposition � (with) or choose to drop it.

As for a grammar rule, unless I am mistaken, there is none guiding you here.
There is a choice of style, I think.
At one time English teachers taught that a sentence could not end with a preposition, but now many think of it as a matter of good/poor style and nothing more.

Perhaps when you wrote �grammar rule �, you were thinking about moving the preposition from behind the verb phrase to the end of the sentence. If so, I am unsure how to quantify this for you as a rule, sorry.

5 Nov 2014     

yanogator
United States

Both are correct with or without "with". Using "with"sort of emphasizes the tool aspect of the statement. Without "with" it is more a statement of the process. It is a very small distinction.

Bruce

5 Nov 2014     

Ruwayda37
Egypt

Thanks a million, Matthew and Bruce!

5 Nov 2014