Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > HELP NEEDED    

HELP NEEDED

cutemouse
Vietnam

HELP NEEDED

Dear teachers,
Would you mind helping me with these sentences
I have good grade for Maths
I have good grade in Maths.
Which one is correct?
Maybe this is a stupid question but I am a little confused. Confused
Can you help me, please?
Thanks a lot in advance.
Tram Anh

8 Nov 2014      

ttuffl
Korea, South

Google says

get a good grade/grades in maths
get a good grade/grades on a maths test

8 Nov 2014     

octoberzorba
Turkey

How do I get good grades in math?

How many of u always get A in Mathematics.

the answer is in...The best way to get an A in math, even geometry, is to work on problems yourself and see if you get the right answer.  Write out your work step by step and show it to a teacher or tutor.  That way they will be able to tell you where you went wrong.

8 Nov 2014     

cutemouse
Vietnam

Thanks a lot!!!!

8 Nov 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

First of all, the only stupid question is the one not asked. Secondly, you need to use the article: a good grade or good grades (for multiple tests). Thirdly, the use of prepositions may be altered, depending where you �re from: on the weekend or at the weekend. So people may say: Do you get good grades in Math? How many of u always get an A in Maths? Or: How do I get a good grade on a math test? Study more and hopefully you �ll get a better grade on the next test. And you may also say: You �ll need to study harder for your tests. As such, Zorba �s answer is too restricted. Prepositions are nor overly rigid, sadly. Hence your confusion. No need to be ashamed of, and certainly no reason to call your question stupid. Hope this helps. Cheers, Peter

8 Nov 2014     

KnotInMyState
United States

Correct sentences:

I have good grades in Maths.

Or

I have a good grade in Maths.

"in Maths" means in a particular class or subject.
"for Maths" -- we don �t say it that way if you mean the class.  However, if you are good at math, you might say "I have an aptitude for math".

"I get good grades in Maths" implies an ongoing process for a subject that you �re good at.  "I have good grades in Maths" implies a particular class at a particular time.

8 Nov 2014     

cutemouse
Vietnam

thank you all a lot!!!!

9 Nov 2014