Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Type of cheese    

Type of cheese

carinita
Argentina

Type of cheese

Have you ever heard of "Sardinian cheese"? My students are making a poster about cheese production. A group of ss have chosen to describe Sardo: http://www.cheese.com/sardo/---> Argentinian cheese. Should I trust Google translation or not? Should students refer to it as Sardo? (It �s original name) Thanks!

12 Nov 2014      

yanogator
United States

There is a hard Italian cheese called sardo, but in any case, it is a name, so don �t translate it.

Bruce

12 Nov 2014     

Zora
Canada

I definitely agree. Do not translate names.

12 Nov 2014     

alex076
Italy

Hi! I �m not from Sardinia (I live in another Italian region), but I thought I might help... In Sardinia there are about 20 or 30 different types of cheese, ("formaggio"). They all have their own precise name, "pecorino sardo" for instance. So, any translation wouldn �t be correct since it is not specifying its exact Italian name. I hope this helps. Big hugs from Italy to all ESLprintables friends ❤️ Alessandra

12 Nov 2014     

Simonet
Italy

Cheese!
I gather that the Argentinian "Sardo" is quite different from the Italian "pecorino sardo." The first is made from cow �s milk, the second (mainly) from sheep �s milk. The word "sardo" in Italian means "from Sardinia," like "Sardinian" in English, but in this case it might be misleading.
I would not change the typical trade name and leave "Argentinian Sardo," maybe just specify: a semi-hard cheese made from cow �s milk.

Bye, S

12 Nov 2014     

carinita
Argentina

Special thanks to our ESLPrintables Italian members! I didn �t know where "Sardinian" came from. Thanks Bruce and Zora. Everything is much clearer now. Tante grazie per tutti! ♥ Greetings from Argentina

12 Nov 2014