Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Present Simple or Continuous??    

Present Simple or Continuous??

aydin1362
Iran

Present Simple or Continuous??

Hi everybody,

A friend of mine asked me a question she encountered in a book called picture discussion:
in the book there is a picture and the description below :

They check the passengers passports carefully before allowing at the counters inside the departure gate. Immigration officers sit behind these counters. They check the passengers passports carefully before allowing them through to board aeroplane. An aireport security officer speaks speaks to a young boy on rollerskates. He tells the boy that he cannot skate here.

the sentences in bold are in the present simple tense but i can �t understand why! Are they grammatically right?
looking forward to your answers!

22 Nov 2014      

yanogator
United States

First, there are a number of grammar errors in this passage. But, to the point, the entire passage is in the present simple, because it is a description of the situation. It would be better in the present continuous, because it is happening now. The earlier sentences describe habitual activity, too, so they could go either way. Bruce

22 Nov 2014     

aydin1362
Iran

thanks a lot Bruce

22 Nov 2014