Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > used to / would    

used to / would

anaram
Spain

used to / would

Hi,

I wonder if the native speakers of this forum could give me a hand here.

I know " the rule" is you can use "used to" both for past habits and states and "would" only for past habits but the other day a student of mine, who is a native English speaker, said that "the library would have some great books" sounded perfectly all right. I said "I would have a coke every day" followed the rule but not have in the sense of possession. She kept thinking and said:  "maybe if you take "great" away if wouldn �t sound OK. I wonder if this is because there is some kind of choice or will in deciding to have great books or if the state verb rule is getting a bit relaxed like the contrast fewer/less.

Can anybody please help me solve this riddle?

Thanks a lot

7 Dec 2014      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Maybe it �s because it means "the library would have great books every time I paid a visit..."?
Also,  if you take away "great", "the library would have books", but let me ask you what else would you expect to find in a library?:)

7 Dec 2014     

anaram
Spain

No. It was just "the library would have great books." There was no time clause. Does it sound Ok?

7 Dec 2014     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I am trying to think of a context where "the library would have great books" works.

Description:
When I was a little girl, we would go to the library once a week. We would check out a big stack of reading materials. The library would have great books.

If clause 
The library would have great books, if there had not been budget cuts. (nowadays)

To me, it seems like there has to be a time referent or an if clause because it sounds strange to say  "the library would have great books" as a stand alone phrase to mean that the library used to have great books. By comparison, "The library used to have great books." can stand alone. --Mary

7 Dec 2014     

yanogator
United States

To add to Mary �s answer, the sentence definitely needs more, but it is grammatically correct. The example I came up with is in the context of a suggestion.

Where can I find references for my paper?

You should go to the library. The library would have great books for you to use. (You might think that this sentence needs "will" instead of "would", but the situation is somewhat a conditional, so "would" works here)

Bruce 

7 Dec 2014     

anaram
Spain

thanks a lot for your anwers.

8 Dec 2014     

FrauSue
France

We can use "would" to refer to a repeated action in the past, but this doesn �t work with the verb "have" in this context, as here it is a state verb and not an active verb. In this case, we must use "used to".

"I would feed the tortoise every day before I went to school." --> Habitual and repeated action in the past. 
"I used to feed the tortoise ..." --> As above
BUT "I would have a tortoise as a child." --> INCORRECT as "have" is a state verb here.
"I used to have a tortoise as a child." --> Correct: permanent and true fact about the past.

When "have" is an action verb, we can use "would" to refer to the past.
"When I was at university, I would usually have my shower in the evening, before going to bed, but now I prefer to have my shower in the morning." 

I hope that helps! 

8 Dec 2014     

yanogator
United States

I agree with FrauSue that would isn �t used for the past with have; just in the conditional type of example that I gave.

Bruce

8 Dec 2014