Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > short cartoons for little learners    

short cartoons for little learners

poppyzey
Turkey

short cartoons for little learners

Hi everyone,

I am teaching to small children and to the big ones who are childish :)) I have been desiring to watch a famous movie with them but most of the films or animation films which adress to the children are quite difficult for my students so I need your help to suggest me a site for my children to watch cartoon or animation with them or any source to solve my problem.

Thank you in advance.

18 Feb 2009      

crazy_turtle
United Kingdom

I started a thread about  the Mr Men videos recently... They are wonderful (and funny) for kids. There is a whole range of excellent books and the animation makes it very easy to understand...

here is one example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHUhK7RxBuA

and my all time favourite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEzTTfhLcwA&feature=related

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5KSnccS2CY&feature=related

I am trying to make some worksheets for them too....

both adults and kids like this program as each story is only around 5 mins long....

18 Feb 2009     

larei
Italy

Hi Poppyzey,

why not try silent movies with the kids? Here �s a link to the forum where we once discussed this topic. There you can also find some links to online videos.

best wishes

18 Feb 2009     

isabelle99
Monaco

hi,
you could try to work on PIXAR cartoons. A lot of them are silent ones but so funny! and they all can be adapted to every level. It is always successful among pupils from 8 to 100. (watch the one about birds on you tube .It �s just hilarious!). you could also try with Sesame street episodes because even if it �s aimed at kids, teens quite like it as well cause the puppet monsters aren �t so childish.

18 Feb 2009     

poppyzey
Turkey

Thank you so much for your help.I went to the site as soon as I have read all your recommendations.However there is another problem for me,Mr.Tickle I was only able to watch the first one because it is silly to say that but youtube is prohobited in Turkey by the government because of the bad sayings about our best leader , Ataturk , and we can only enter it via other sources and so I couldn �t watch the others.Would you mind giving me the full name of the cartoons otherwise I have no chance to copy ond paste it to the searching ikon.

Moreover,even if we have internet connection in our classes,we cannot enter all the sites we wish because they are protected against everythingggggg.I mean we can only access the sites we are allowed to by the system so I would like to know whether you know a way to download any source from youtube so that I can use them in my classroom.

I KNOW I AM TROUBLESOME BUT I NEED YOUR HELP AND WILL BE THANKFUL FOR THIS :))) 

18 Feb 2009     

mayamin
Tunisia

hi,
i just want to draw your attention to 2 great sites:
http://www.veryabc.cn/flash
http://www.britishcouncil.org/kids.htm
you can find songs, animated stories and more..
i can also help you to download these flashes with a useful program. just count on me!

18 Feb 2009     

euphrates_84
Turkey

Disney �in Magic English serisi var; bizim TR �deki pek �ok forum sitesinde linkleri mevcut. Onlar işinize yarar.

18 Feb 2009     

libertybelle
United States

I think it is important to see mouth-movement while watching a film.
It enhances understanding and pronunciation. A cartoon doesn �t do this.

Why don �t you buy a few good films from Amazon UK? (they are not that expensive)  They also have subtitles in English. I always have the English subtitles on when showing
a film in English.

This problem of content vs language will always be a problem, because unless
 a film is made especially for language teaching, it is usually geared towards
an English speaking audience.

So the interesting films are too difficult language-wise and too childish content-wise.
(an on going dilemma)

My small kids just love Big Muzzy. Can you get it in your country?  Otherwise investing in a good film you can use over and over again, would be a good investment.
L

18 Feb 2009     

ants
Switzerland

Yes, I agree with Libertybelle.

My kids aged from 5  to 10 really enjoy Muzzy and the second one...Big Muzzy.

Younger than 5 and they watch Magic English. Some of the kids who are about 8 still enjoy Magic English but I feel it �s doesn �t have the same structure as Muzzy and Big Muzzy.

The Magic English tapes are in French and teach basic English. Smile

As I �m teaching here in the Swiss French part of Switzerland...I chose Magic English with French.

With my teenagers, we �re watching "Happy Days" and I always put English subtitles and work on a script to help with comprehension. Smile

So good luck and let us know how you got on. Big smile

18 Feb 2009