Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > ´She mustn ´t have been late ´    

´She mustn ´t have been late ´

Sniggy
Russian Federation

´She mustn ´t have been late ´

Dear colleagues! Tell me please what is wrong in the sentence ´She mustn ´t have been late ´. Thanks!

5 Jan 2015      

Abbes_Z
Morocco

Dear Sniggy,

Well, it depends on what modality you mean..
If you mean unadvisability in the past, then the proper whay to express it is; "She shouldn´t have been late." (i.e. using ´should´ as a modal perfect). But if you mean certainty in the past, then in this case you should use ´must´ as a modal perfect-- that is; "She must have been late". 

I hope this helps.. ;)
Cheers!

5 Jan 2015     

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

If you want to express reproach / regret / or disaapproval about something that happened in the past, use shouldn ´t / oughtn ´t + have + past participle of the main verb = She shouldn ´t have been late.

If you want to make a deduction expressing certainty something didn ´t happen, use can ´t / couldn ´t + have + past participle = She can ´t / couldn ´t have been late. ( meaning : I ´m sure she wasn ´t late)

5 Jan 2015     

Sniggy
Russian Federation

Thank you so much!!! Happy New Year! :)

5 Jan 2015