Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > I`m just curious    

I`m just curious

freddie
Canada

I`m just curious

May I ask why people call what I would call a reading and comprehension exercise a `test`. It seems quite common here and I wondered why.

18 Feb 2009      

Zora
Canada

Because it has been tried and tested by hundreds of kids in a nation wide taste test and proved to be a useful product that will make your life easier but not add unwanted calories?! Tongue
Tongue

18 Feb 2009     

Apryll12
Hungary

I �m not sure, but maybe because a vocabulary exercise is supposed to provide practice for the students, or a grammar exercise as well. But with reading, you check or test what students understand with comprehension questions or other similar follow-up tasks. If reading was meant to be a practice it could �only � be a short-story to read for fun.

Well... I may be mistaken but this is what I think.

18 Feb 2009     

isabelle99
Monaco

In France, most official exams consist in a reading, comprehension, sometimes a bit of grammar and an essay. Maybe that �s why.... I personnally download them as worksheets but it �s up to people how they decide to use them afterwards.

18 Feb 2009     

euphrates_84
Turkey

Bu konu eğitim bilimlerinin �l�me değerlendirme kısmında da anlatılır. Bizdeki yaygın inanışın aksine test,  sadece şıklardan oluşan  bir değerlendirme sistemi değildir. Evaluation and assessment types şeklinde google �dan aratırsanız zaten detaylı bilgilere ulaşırsınız.

18 Feb 2009     

freddie
Canada

Euphrates please check your PM

18 Feb 2009     

�mr�m
Turkey

pardon ama bu siteye birşeyler eklemeden yararlanamıyoruz galiba?

18 Feb 2009     

freddie
Canada

Of course it is not a problem, I now understand that it usually means a reading and some exercises. My experience with tests is that they include all 4 skills and perhaps a little grammar and vocabulary, not only reading, Anyway I wondered and I guess I got my answer. Thanks.

18 Feb 2009     

mena22
Portugal

GSmileSmileD MORNING FREDDIE! Good morning to you all!

That �s how it works for me and I believe for all teachers in Portugal: Every term I test my students on the 4 skills. In my school, we �ve decided to test together reading + writing  and separatedly listening an speaking  (in 100%, 40% for each. the other 20% of the final grade of the term is for General competences (autonomy, responsability, cooperation, behaviour). For the secondary level it �s a little bit different. Only 5% for general competences and 95% for the 4 skills.

Every term, we usually do 2 reading + writing tests, and 2 listening + speaking tests. These tests are made by the teachers of each class. That �s why many of my reading comprehension contributions are tests. But of course they can be used by other teachers as worksheets. I myself use them later as so, because we don �t use twice the same test.

As grammar is today considered a tool for communicative competence, many and many more teachers are not testing student �s knowledge on it separatedly. Instead, they assess it through the 4 skills of the language, i.e., they assess students � competence - the way they use grammar to communicate. That �s quite different, because although the students have to have the knowledge to use it in context, not every student who has the knowledge is able to apply it, to use it in a communicative situation, whatever the skill he might be using.

Don �t you do those kind of tests in your country? How is it with other teachers from different countries? I �d very much like to know.

A nice day to you all!
mena

18 Feb 2009     

freddie
Canada

Thank you Mena, I understand better now. Of course if teacher`s are making their own reading tests it would be helpful to look for one here.

Yes I work at a private language school, not in the national school system. But we have a 4 skill based evaluation with an emphasis on speaking skills (40%-20 for speaking test, 20 for presentations) because our students are young adults who have studied English in the public school system for years and still cannot make a sentence on their own. Therefore, to help our students reach their goals of being able to converse, we emphasize listening and speaking skills in the program and therefore our assessment emphasizes them. Our students have usually worked largely or exclusively with grammar, vocabulary and reading exercises and therefore reading is usually their strongest skill so we don`t emphasize it. However, we certainly do reading activities in class with a communicative aim. We do have readings on our exams but they are standardized by our department and therefore we don`t need to write our own so I guess it never occured to me that tests could be shared. 

18 Feb 2009     

freddie
Canada

Thank you Mena, I understand better now. Of course if teacher`s are making their own reading tests it would be helpful to look for one here.

Yes I work at a private language school, not in the national school system. But we have a 4 skill based evaluation with an emphasis on speaking skills (40%-20 for speaking test, 20 for presentations) because our students are young adults who have studied English in the public school system for years and still cannot make a sentence on their own. Therefore, to help our students reach their goals of being able to converse, we emphasize listening and speaking skills in the program and therefore our assessment emphasizes them. Our students have usually worked largely or exclusively with grammar, vocabulary and reading exercises and therefore reading is usually their strongest skill so we don`t emphasize it. However, we certainly do reading activities in class with a communicative aim. We do have readings on our exams but they are standardized by our department and therefore we don`t need to write our own so I guess it never occured to me that tests could be shared. 

18 Feb 2009     

1    2    Next >