Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Ideas for First Day Warm Ups    

Ideas for First Day Warm Ups

PaulG
Costa Rica

Ideas for First Day Warm Ups

Hello everybody. Today I recieved a call offering me a job to teach a university level course (which I have never done before). The thing is that the first class is tomorrow evening. The first class will only have general information about the course, personal presentations, and warm-up activities. Can somebody please give me some ideas as what I can use for those activities? 

15 Jan 2015      

Peter Hardy
Australia

Tomorrow evening? That �s probably today by now. The best advice I can give is to do a quick google search on ESL Warm-up activities (for adults, beginners etcetera). You �ll be ready in no-time with i.e. No-prep activities from http://eslgamesbox.com/2013/02/19/10-no-prep-warm-up-activities.  Cheers, Peter

15 Jan 2015     

papadeli
Greece

1. This a great warmer you can use to recycle any vocabulary or grammar structures. The game is called Bankrupt. Collect the vocabulary flashcards you aim to revise, and stick -or write- behind them cards showing an amount of money, like $500, $100 and so on. One or two of them should say BANKRUPT and another DONATION. Stick the flashcards on the board. Be careful students don �t see money cards. Divide the class into two groups. Students take turns to choose one of the flashcards, say the item on them, or a sentence using that word, as you prefer. If they say it right they gain the amount of money at the back. If it says Bankrupt, you erase the money they had won, and if it says Donation, that team donates all their money to the other group.
  2. Write "WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE" on the blackboard. Explain to the students that you are looking for somebody. On a piece of paper ask them to draw the person you are describing. Describe  slowly as your students draw. In the end, tell them that you were describing one of the Ss in that class. They have to find who that person is.
  3. In groups of three or four, students ask each other about their food likes and dislikes. Students should keep asking until they find a food that no one in the group likes. Have a representative from each group write that food or dish on the board. See if there is a food or dish that the entire class dislikes. 
Greetings from Greece,

16 Jan 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Great ideas so far! �Bankrupt � will bring some Numeracy into the lesson.I like �Onion skin mingle � on the tiny tefl teacher �s website
 http://www.tinyteflteacher.co.uk/teacher/activities/getting-to-know-you.html
(It �s not me, btw - I �m enormous!!!;)) 

16 Jan 2015     

PaulG
Costa Rica

Thanks!!! These answers are very helpful!!!

18 Jan 2015