Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How can I separate words in English ?    

How can I separate words in English ?

ximons
Brazil

How can I separate words in English ?

Good evening dear friends. I need your help. How can I separate the words in English ? Is it possible ? I hope your answer. Thanks a lot. Ximons.

18 Feb 2009      

libertybelle
United States

Ahhhh.............. what do you mean by seperate word? You mean syllables?

18 Feb 2009     

ximons
Brazil

Yes, Libertybelle. I mean syllables. Ximons.

18 Feb 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

well words in English unlike Spanish or portuguese are separated according to their sounds and not graphically.

For example.    Pronounce these words!

->believe = be-lieve (2 syllables)

->Pronounce = pro-nounce

In Spanish and Im pretty sure in portueguese we would separate them like this: be -lie-ve / pro-noun-ce but this does not happen like this in English.

Miss Melissa. Hug

19 Feb 2009     

lilytech
Argentina

use a dictionary. Some of these books have the lexis separated into syllables

19 Feb 2009     

libertybelle
United States

A dictionary is a good helper. When I write lyrics under music notes, there is a rule that all lyricists use.
prefixes and suffixes are always in a syllable by themselves.
For example
be-liev-ing  (be is the prefix and ing the suffix)

We usually don �t divide a word between vowels either.

Hope this helps.
L

19 Feb 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

My dear Libertybelle,

I don �t think that BE- in believe is a prefix, because the root cannot be LIEVE. It doesn �t mean anything. -ING is as suffix, and BELIEVE is the root of the word.

19 Feb 2009     

douglas
United States

As a child I learned the "clap method" of determining syllables:

Simply "clap" the word out with your hands(clap your hands in rhythm as you say the word)--the number of claps is the number of syllables, it �s not fool-proof but it is pretty accurate.

Douglas

19 Feb 2009     

ximons
Brazil

Good morning dear friends and thanks for your answers about my questions. Have a good day. Ximons

19 Feb 2009     

Jayho
Australia

As part of spelling strategies I teach my intermediate adult students about syllables.  I use a primary spelling handbook that I purchased at my local bookstore for AUS $10 when I was teaching kids - a bargain.  It clearly shows how to break the words into syllables using three easy rules and has activities that don �t look like they are for young learners.  I �ve tried the clapping method which has worked really well with some classes and sadly not others.  Each class is truly different.

One of my favourite sites, BBC Skillswise, has good stuff for younger learners.  Each topic includes factsheets, worksheets, games and quizzes.  Often you don �t need to make your own WS - just use theirs.  Click this link for the syllables page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/words/spelling/soundandspell/syllables/worksheet.shtml

19 Feb 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Sorry to correct you Ivona, but be is a prefix.

You can read more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_prefixes

Prefix Meaning Example
a-/an- lacking in, lack of asexual, anemic
a- verb > predicative adjective with progressive aspect afloat, atremble
anti- against anti-war, antivirus, anti-human
arch- supreme, highest, worst arch-rival
be- equipped with, covered with, beset with (pejorative or facetious) bedeviled, becalm, bedazzle, bewitch

19 Feb 2009     

1    2    Next >