Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Help, I cannot make my students learn ANYTHING!    

Help, I cannot make my students learn ANYTHING!

opez
Spain

Thank you all dear mates for your kind words.

I see that you understand my problem here. Almost no time with these aged studentes in class, lack of any English basis in them so as no English social background in my country AT ALL, lack of time because of their jobs, kids, and the rest of issues that they have to face everyday. I keep a positive attitude in clear contrast with their apathy. They sometimes just want the diploma because of new regulations of their jobs which obligue them to take the examinations. I have a lot of old women who work as cleaners for hospital, for instance, who need the diploma or they �ll get fired.

That �s why at the end I award their will power in the end. I design shamefully easy test to help them pass, but it sometimes is difficult even REALLY wanting to make it as easy as possible for them. It �s a bizarre situation, I know. I �m going to show you an exam I did last term for them. They are supposed to control the passive structures, f.e. when they scarcely know how to name a few basic things, I doubt most of them know the names of the colours, week days or stuff like that :

2. Completa usando ‘WILL O TO BE GOING TO’ y los verbos entre paréntesis. (1p)

1 ‘Someone told me that you �re moving from London. � �That �s right. I ___________________ (live) in Manchester. �

2 ‘Would you like to come to my house this evening? � �Yes, all right. I ___________________ (come) at 9 o �clock. �

3  I don �t feel very well. I think I ___________________ (faint).

4 Oh, no! Look at those cars! They _____________________ (crash)!

3. Escribe preguntas con los INTERROGATIVOS entre paréntesis (1p)

1.                  I read comics. (How often) _____________________________________________

2.                  Mary goes out at the weekend. (Where) ___________________________________________

3.                  I collect things. (What) _________________________________________

4.          Liz goes to a sports club. (When) ______________________________________

4. Reglas de Clase. Escribe WE MUST or WE MUSTN �T. (1p)

1.                  ___________________ jump on the desks.

2.                  ___________________  do what the teacher says

3.                  ___________________ go to sleep.

4.                  ___________________ be quiet.

5. Pon los verbos en la forma correcta, PASADO SIMPLE O CONTINUO. (1p)

1.         Jane _______________ (wait) for me when I   _________________  (arrive).

2.         �What _______________ (you/do) this time yesterday? �   �I was asleep. �

3.         �________________  (you/go) out last night? �   �No, I was too tired. �

4.         �Was Carol at the party last night? �   �Yes, she_________________ (wear) a really nice dress. �

6. Rodea o subraya la respuesta adecuada de cada pareja de PASADO SIMPLE Y PASADO PERFECTO_(1p)

1   No one understood / had understood how the cat got / had got into the car.

2   Joe didn �t play / hadn �t played in the game on Saturday because he hurt / had hurt his arm.

3   Liz never travelled / had never travelled by train before she went / had gone to Europe.

4   I arrived / had arrived at the shop at 5.30, but it already closed /  had already closed.

7.- Rellena estas condicionales con la forma correcta del verbo, FUTURO O PRESENTE (1p)

1.    If the baby________________ (be) thirsty, she__________________ (cry).

2.    If you_________________ (not give) babies love, they ___________________ (be) unhappy.

3.    John ________________ (get) plenty of  exercise if he ___________________ (go) to the mountain.

4.- If you ___________________ (boil) water, it ____________________  (turn) to steam.

8. Rellena los huecos con la forma correcta del verbo entre paréntesis (PAST SIMPLE) (1p)

1.   I wish you ________________ (be) quiet.

2.   Alan wishes he____________________ (play) tennis as well as Jerry.

3.   Do you wish you__________________ (speak) six languages?

4.   I wish I_____________________ (not be) so tall.

9.  Completa las frases con el pronombre objeto correcto: ME/HIM/HER/THEM. (1p)

1.                  Who is that girl? Why are you looking at ____________  ?

2.                  Do you know that man? � �Yes, I work with ______________

3.                  I �m talking to you. Please listen to _____________

4.                  These photographs are nice. Do you want to look at_____________  ?

10.- Escribe oraciones en PASADO SIMPLE PASIVO: (1p)

1   Our passports__________________by a tall woman in a uniform, (take)

2   These books___________________in the classroom yesterday, (leave)

3   I don �t think this room___________________yesterday, (clean)

4   We __________________at the airport by a driver from the university, (meet)

I have to write the formulations of the questions in Spanish, otherwise it would be impossible for them to understand anything. The marks in these exams are around 2-3/10 in most students, and those who randomly make right answers are passed when they reach 4 points out of 10.

I just wanted a place on the internet or somewhere when they have a data base with the commonest English words in every semantic field in case this makes their task easy. Anyway, I �m a realist and I assume I can �t make them learn as much as the REAL level they are supposed to be tested on.

Thanks a lot for your help, mates. Let �s keep up the hard work for our good students. They deserve it.
Cheers!

13 Feb 2015     

< Previous   1    2