Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > > Why was I accused of stealing a worksheet?    

Why was I accused of stealing a worksheet?

Jinx77
Australia

Why was I accused of stealing a worksheet?

I uploaded a worksheet on 13th Feb that I spent many hours creating myself, from scratch. I have since received two messages telling me I have infringed the website rules as my worksheet is apparently �clearly scanned � from a textbook. I replied to these messages explaining that it was a 100 percent original worksheet but have not received a reply. I have no idea why this has happened as I made it myself in Microsoft Publisher and I am quite upset that I have been accused of plagiarism. It  makes me hesitant to share more worksheets with this community when people can so easily be accused of stealing and breaking the rules. If anyone can give me advice for how to contact the webmaster directly about this to get it sorted out it would be much appreciated. And a friendly reminder to everyone not to jump the gun when reporting �stolen � items if you don �t know for sure as it can be upsetting to the original creators. Cheers.

15 Feb 2015      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Jinx, that is unfortunate. You worksheets should be put back. We are used to editable wss and maybe this is why there was a doubt. The webmaster is Victor Gayol - his email is on the yellow column to the left here. Don �t be discouraged. 

16 Feb 2015     

Jinx77
Australia

Thanks Cunliffe, I didn �t notice that email address until now! The reason my worksheets are uneditable is because I make them in a version of Publisher that can �t export things to Word properly. So they only way to get them to the .doc format required for this site is to save them as an image and paste it into Word. Maybe that �s why they thought I scanned it, it �s understandable but still pretty upsetting. I wish people would check their facts before jumping to conclusions, I feel like some users on this site are just looking for reasons to report people!

16 Feb 2015     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Hello Jenn,
Better yet send Victor a pm because he rarely checks his email. 
And please don�t jump to conclusions about people wanting to report just for fun. This person probably downloaded your ws and then discovered that it was a picture/image and made the assumption you mentioned. Usually it takes the majority of votes from moderators for a ws to be removed. Has yours been removed or is it still pending approval from the moderators to be removed?

16 Feb 2015     

manonski (f)
Canada

@ Jinx, Can I suggest you inform members  in your description? If you let members know that the document is an image of the work you �ve done in Publishers, they might be less inclined to report. It would also be helpful to moderators.

16 Feb 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Jinx77, Everything you say is  familiar to me, at one point I was about to leave this site, because of the similar situation. I hope that people will be more responsible when reporting and the moderators show more consideration when voting for the removal of a WS. Contributors must be cherished, not made to complain. 

PS. Keep contributing, no matter what :)
CONTR!

16 Feb 2015     

primpi
United Kingdom

daer friend this has happened to me in the past too .dont worry ..sometimes people are a little superficiale but hopefully  they dont really mean harm  they are just mistaken it happens .keep up  your  great work 

16 Feb 2015     

Jinx77
Australia

Thanks everyone. My worksheet was reported as �from a book - clearly scanned � then deleted the same day. I emailed Victor and PMed the admin �eslprintables � but have not received a response yet. It is discouraging that contributors can be reprimanded so easily. I think from now on I will avoid contributing because it �s too stressful to deal with the PMs from moderators and the lack of follow-up when a mistake is made.

16 Feb 2015     

manonski (f)
Canada

This moderators bashing is getting old. First of all, the only person who can reinstate your printable and points is the owner of the site. Moderators do not have that power. They can sometimes tell you why a printable has been reported if it is still in the moderating section.

Secondly: giving an accurate description of your printable is not clogging up the space. Seriously, if you think that clarifying that your printable has been copied and pasted from Publishers is taking too much space, that �s your problem. Other members have no problem doing it and they don �t end up on the forum wondering why their work has been reported. 

Share or don �t share. It �s your work. You �re free to do whatever you want with it.  There are so many uploads in a day. One more or one less won �t make a difference.

16 Feb 2015     

PhilipR
Thailand

I �m going to side with the poster. Being unfairly accused of plagiarism or stealing stirs up powerful negative emotions. It is difficult to keep calm, especially the first time when this happens. I don �t see a witch hunt against moderators in this thread, although I think it wouldn �t hurt to be extra careful when reporting a worksheet. Just ask Victor to reinstate your worksheet and you should be fine.

16 Feb 2015     

joy2bill
Australia

Just a point: anyone can report a worksheet. The moderator �s job is only to confirm or refute the reporting. Please don �t bash moderators. It takes time to check resources and try to protect contributors from being ripped off. Anyone can become a moderator if they contribute enough.
Certainly there are some people out there who enjoy criticizing the work of others. This is an unfortunate side-effect of our site having become so huge that we are getting all sorts involved. However, the good far outweigh the bad! Keep contributing.

17 Feb 2015     

1    2    Next >