Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > First Day    

First Day

estela_a91
Argentina

First Day

Hi everybody...!! next week I �m going to start teaching to adolescents... It will be my first and I don �t know how to start my class...can you help me?? thanks in advance....!!! :) :) :) 

2 Mar 2015      

breebree
Spain

you can start with a game : 

put the students in pairs or in groups of three �s or four �s  depending on the number of students you �ve got.

write on the board... A-Z

give them 3minutes

From  ..A to Z ...write down vocabulary related to sports.
 or you could say .. "from A-z find vocabulary related to things  you see in the city" or "A-z... adjectives" or "A-z ..Verbs"

Then , after the three minutes are over , Write the letters A,B, C, D, ...Z on the board. then give each group a board pen or chalk and each team has to contribute  on each letter.

after that contunue with your normal class....:) 

2 Mar 2015     

Mariethe House
France

Mybe you could start with a few icebreakers if they don �t know each other

Or, if they know each other, you can start with a discussion about what rules to follow to make a happily working group.

Then you can go through the textbook and explain what you will be doing and what your expectations are.

Good luck dear. I am sure you will find a way Smile

2 Mar 2015     

ciiama
Poland

I always start with some kind of introduction of myself, I write a few words on the board e.g. 12, two, John, 35, blue.... etc and I tell the students to form 2 or 3 groups of a few students and make a few questions to the answers that are given on the board, ant I add that all these questions concern me, so they are willing to get to know something about the new teacher.

So as a result they write questions such as: what �s your favourite colour, what �s your husband �s name, how many children have you got, how old are you and so on.... they answers should �n be too obvious. Students work in groups and write down the questions, then after a few minutes the teacher asks each group to read the questions in turns one by one and if the question is correct and is the answer to one of the words on the board, the group gets one point.  The winners are the team with more points.

Good luck!:-)

3 Mar 2015