Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > salary of teachers    

salary of teachers

nurikzhan
Kazakhstan

Hello, dear friends,
The average salary in public schools in Kazakhstan is 6500 dollars in a year, 550 per month.

12 Mar 2015     

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

I �m from a small town in Russia. I work 26 hours a week, it �s about 104 hours a month. I get  about 350 dollars a month for that. 

12 Mar 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Well, I �m English so I �m uncomfortable about this discussion ;-). Only joking. The starting salary is around £21,000 and goes up to, for a teacher on the main scale without a responsibility, £36,000. If you are head of department, you can earn up to about £11,000 more. Of course, it is how much it will buy you that counts. I have a responsibility as head of dept (curriculum team leader) and am at the top of the main pay scale. My husband and I have worked all our lives but we can �t afford much by way of a house. You have to be in business, I think! Or not a materialist as Peter suggests. 

12 Mar 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Sophia, I agree with you whole-heartedly. However has this come about?

12 Mar 2015     

MarionG
Netherlands

This really doesn �t say anything. If you do not take into account the cost of living, these figures are totally empty. 100 dollars in New York, isn �t the same as a 100 dollars in Nigeria.
I live in Israel, I get paid for 17 hours a week (that �s all the English I can teach in our school, combining all the English hours taught in 4 different grades) and my salary doesn �t cover the avarage rent in Jerusalem. (BTW, I wish the figures for Israel were true for me, they aren �t)

12 Mar 2015     

Jayho
Australia

I believe that it is important to compare your salary with other professions/occupations in your country. This helps you identify how your country deems teachers compared to other professions.

Having worked in more than one state, I found that teaching salaries in Australia vary greatly between states, but also between private and public sector.

Primary and secondary - private schools generally pay more than government schools

Post secondary/vocational - government institutions pay far more than private

University - I don �t know.

Generally, teachers with up to date university qualifications are well paid. More info here

Cheers

Jayho

12 Mar 2015     

melahel7
Canada

Wow! You guys are really gonna hate me!  In Canada, more specifically in Quebec, we get 76K once we hit the top and Ontario about 20k more.

12 Mar 2015     

alien boy
Japan

In Japan it�s�normal to get bonuses twice a year if you�re a�nationally registered teacher in a government or private school (not conversation/eikaiwa/cram) sector. It�s very uncommon for foreign teachers to be paid these bonuses. The bonuses themselves are usually a month�s pay each, and are not typically included�as part of the salary.

A typical foreign�elementary, junior or senior high school teacher would be on around US$30,000 per annum, and�they do not always receive paid holidays for the summer vacation - around 6 weeks.
On top of your wages you are paid for transport to and from work. My annual transport allowance runs to around US$5,000.
In my case I also have extended paid holiday (40 days + public holidays), no bonuses, but a substantially higher level of pay (but I�m not saying how much). I am, after all, the head teacher in the English department.��

All the figures above are based on 100 yen = US$1, which isn�t explicitly correct, it depends on the exchange rate.

Cheers,
AB�

12 Mar 2015     

Astral
South Africa

Hi, this is a good complete list of teaching comparisons around the world.
Keep going down. You can compare all the countries..Asia, Latin America, Europe, etc 

Click on each country link to learn more about that job market.

http://www.internationalteflacademy.com/country-chart-world-index-english-teaching-jobs

13 Mar 2015     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Correcting my previous entry, there is a big difference between �normal � teachers and ESL teachers. As a normal teacher in an aboriginal community I took over $100K. (Better than Canada!)  I didn �t have to pay rent, electricity or whatever comes with a house. On the downside, my car didn �t last longer than three years. Needing a 4WD that would set me back a small fortune too. So, as many already said, it all depends on the circumstances and cost of living.

ESL/EAL Teachers take a lot less, somewhere between $45-$70K.  Like, Lynne, one barely gets by on that. 

(Picture: Me, now.)

Image result for broke 

13 Mar 2015     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >