Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Cambridge exams in all schools in Portugal    

Cambridge exams in all schools in Portugal

elisabetegomes
Portugal

Cambridge exams in all schools in Portugal

Hello once again, dear friends.

The Portuguese Ministry of Education is implementing Cambridge exams in schools  in Portugal. 9th form students (5th year of English) are  taking PET for the first time this year. I often see posts asking about books and advice connected with Cambridge English exams, so I wonder if that is being done in other countries as well. If so, is it nationwide? 
Thank you so much:)

Elisabete Gomes 

8 Apr 2015      

tldussault
United States

Hello!

Here in the United States, we used the complete number, "two thousand seven" for example, from 2000 to 2009.  We like to shorten what we say, so as soon as we got to 2010, we began to use "twenty ten."  Now,  I hear mostly the shortened form for the year," twenty fifteen."  It is not incorrect to use the complete number and occasionally I hear "two thousand fifteen," but most English speakersin the U.S. prefer to use the shortened form.

8 Apr 2015     

joannajs
Poland

Hi there Elisabete!

Guess the other person was answering a different question...

Anyway, in Poland years back students taking their final school leaving exams at high school (so they were 19 at the time) used to have an option: they could either take the state-run exam that cost them nothing or providing the school with an FCE (or more) which would excuse them from the state test. The issue being that FCE would cost you over 100 pounds and you could take it as many times as you wished. That posed an obvious problem of inequality (if you had bucks you could afford to take an extra test at a convenient moment without the worry that you have just one go at it). For that reason mainly, Polish educational authorities decided to opt for own test that they design. No other exam can excuse you from the state-run ones.

Hope hat helps :-)

best,

joanna 

8 Apr 2015     

elisabetegomes
Portugal

Thank you Tidussault:)

And thank you Joanna. You answered my question precisely.Our students pay much less than that but they can only take PET so far. And they only have to pay the fee if they want the dilpoma. 

Thank you once again to both of you.

Elisabete  

8 Apr 2015